1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What happens when you can't give bread starter away....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Solace, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Solace

Solace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Rutherford County, NC
    Well my wife came home a few weeks ago with some amish bread recipe and some of this starter stuff....

She faithfully fed, mushed/mashed/smashed whatever you have to do to that stuff then split it 4+1 made two loaves and kept trucking. Seems ALL the other teachers at her school did the same thing. Without warning bags and bags and bags of starter were flying everywhere. We couldn't give it away.... so what did we do the past two days??? [​IMG]

16 total loaves with 14 frozen in many many different flavors... cinnamon, pear spice, walnut/raisin, butterscotch, chocolate chip and a few I've forgotten.

If someone offers you some great starter.... DON'T take it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what I've helped take care of since getting home from the office today. [​IMG]

OH and we still have starter.... anyone want some? [​IMG]

2. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    I do !!! I do !!! I would love to have some starter !! I tried to make the starter from scratch using a recipe and it did not work !! I will pm you my address Thanks what a great offer !!!

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I was just talikng about friendship bread today....I want some...Don't think it will ship though...Gotta find a recipe....

4. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    I just love mine, but after several rounds:D I couldn't find anyone to get the last starters, so I just kept them in the recipe and cooked them. I did keep out one for me.

5. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    I had 2 starters and kept 1, made the 16 loaves Banana peacan, Apple walnut, raisin pecan walnut and the list can go on. I passed it out to all the ladies in the area. I now only have 1 starter and will be making more bread Thursday. I sell it along with eggs and freeze some for myself - I love the bread I make.

6. Solace

Apr 16, 2008
    Rutherford County, NC
    If anyone knows if this stuff will ship... heck I'll ship it priorty. Don't know how it'll handle being jostled around, but I'll give it a whirl. I think we've made enough bread to last us a year now it seems.

newnanchic I'll ship you some out just to see if it works. Can't hurt to try I'm thinking.

My wife and I are taking a trip to see family in Central Wisconsin next week. We'll get some ready when we get back.

7. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Anyone have the recipe to make the actual starter????
    How about the instructions and such???[​IMG]

8. Solace

Apr 16, 2008
    Rutherford County, NC
    I almost forgot my favorite so far. Butterscotch with Heath bar bits in it. Man that stuff's dangerous!

Here's a link to the starter recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amish-Friendship-Bread-Starter/Detail.aspx

Here's the recipe that came along with the starter we have:

Day 1: Do nothing - This is the day you receive starter
    Day 2 - Day 5: Mush the bag
    Day 6: Add 1 cup plain flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk and 'Mush' the bag
    Day 7 - 9: Mush the bag

Day 10: Make the bread

Baking Bread

1. Pour entire contents of bag into a large non-metal bowl.

2. Add 1 1/2 cups plain flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 1/2 cups milk and mix well.

3. Label 4 one gallon Ziploc bags with Day 1 and the date. Put 1 cup of mixture into each bag for your starters. Give them away..... goodness please give em away. Do keep one out for yourself if you're still wanting bread though. It freezes well btw.

4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

5. Add to the remaining batter:

3 eggs
    1 cup oil
    1/2 cup milk
    1 cup sugar
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 cups plain flour
    1 large box of vanilla instant pudding

(You may substitute 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup applesauce for the 1 cup oil)
    You can add fruit, nuts, raisins....... etc

6. Grease bottom and sides of 2 large loaf pans (Glass, but we used teflon coated metal and it turns out fine). Mix 1/2 cup sugar and 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon in a small bowl. Dust the inside of each pan with half the mixture making sure to cover the bottom and sides well.

7. Pour batter evenly into the baking pans and sprinkel remaining cinnamon and sugar over the top.

8. Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool till bread loosens from the pan easily. Turn out onto serving dish and enjoy!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  9. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    It was going around here also lol. I think I made about 8 loaves, one is still in the freezer. I gave a few away, but once everyone you know has a starter, they no longer need more of yours and you are stuck with them.

I guess lucky for us, I ended up with the flu 2 days before I was supposed to bake bread again. I didn't remember it was here until 8 days later and I was afraid to use it then, so I threw it away.

DH was getting a bit tired of the bread anyways. I probably won't be able to find any of the starter again when he decides he wants more of it lol.

10. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

That is funny. I always did wonder what would happen if you couldn't find enough people to give it away to.
    By the way, howdy neighbor! I am in your county quite a bit...it's my job, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by