what has been your average/most common sex ratio?

froggyphore

Songster
Sep 20, 2019
i know the real average is 50/50, but in practice, how often have you guys gotten that or close? im getting straight run for the first time as theres a few breeds i can only find unsexed and im wondering if its realistic to expect even a 1/3 or 2/5 pullet to cockerel ratio. thx :)

My tiny little incubator only holds 6 eggs at a time. This year when I hatched, I had 4 boys to 2 girls, and that 60/40 ratio is pretty common for me. :/

When my hen hatched her own eggs, only 3 made it to hatch day, one died as it got pushed out from under momma by the hatched babies but the 2 that made it are both girls.

You have this posted under incubation and hatching eggs. Do you mean from hatches that we’ve had or when we purchased straight run chicks?🤔
i guess from hatchery, either is fine though. i know they’re probably a little different but i want as many examples as possible so i know what to expect :) sorry if this is the wrong forum! sometimes i’m not sure which to post under.

i guess from hatchery, either is fine though. i know they’re probably a little different but i want as many examples as possible so i know what to expect :) sorry if this is the wrong forum! sometimes i’m not sure which to post under.
No, you’re fine! I just wasn’t sure what you were asking. Honestly it really is a 50-50 shot on each chick that you get regardless if it’s from a hatchery (straight run) or you hatch your own! Hatching your own is the same as straight run then. The first time I hatched chicks 11/15 were
Cockerels!
Since then it’s been approximately 50/50, I’ve lost track.😊
The smaller number you have, normally, the more skewed your odds can be. This is just normal statistical variation.
Good luck with your hatch!🥰

Back
Top Bottom