What hath God wrought/or what has Jimmy done???

I feed in the morning and they forage the rest of the day. But when I feed them, I really feed them a lot! I've felt that I'm feeding too much, but, to be as educated as I am, I'm now embarrassed that I might have missed the boat on this. You know, it takes some humility to admit that you've messed up. I'm quite humble. Thank you so much.
If they are free ranging, they are fine with that routine. If they are in a pen, they won't be able to find enough. I don't leave out free choice for my free rangers. Just my cooped birds. Plus you've been doing it your way all along I assume and you have 3 year old healthy birds, so who knows. Can't be messing up too bad. ;-)

Sorry if I missed it. How big is your coop/run. How may birds do you have all together? Are they over crowded? This can cause the older on s to not allow the younger ones to get any food and become malnutrition. I agree though treating with corid won’t hurt. Extra food and water available could help also.
Sorry if I missed it. How big is your coop/run. How may birds do you have all together? Are they over crowded? This can cause the older on s to not allow the younger ones to get any food and become malnutrition. I agree though treating with corid won’t hurt. Extra food and water available could help also.
I have 22 chickens and the area is huge. It's not as big as a football field but altogether it would be close. I have two chicken coops with three nesting boxes each (those prefab kind you buy from Tractor Supply). There are different sections because I kept expanding. This helps when I need to separate, as I did when the chicks graduated to the outside.

This is not very important, but thought I'd share it. All the chicks that were born this year are actually pullets, not hens. The males are cockerels, not roosters. They become hens and roosters at one year old. On the feed, my chickens, generally 12 of them, are in a 4,000 SF area to semi-free range, but they also have 3 food and water stations available all day. They don't eat as much as I'd like from them, but I think it is a good practice to make sure there is plenty of food and water available at all times. Because chickens will sometimes chase others away from "their" food, I want anyone towards the bottom of the pecking order to never go hungry.

20190927_073328.jpg
20190927_073328.jpg
20190927_073547.jpg
20190927_073328.jpg
If they are free ranging, they are fine with that routine. If they are in a pen, they won't be able to find enough. I don't leave out free choice for my free rangers. Just my cooped birds. Plus you've been doing it your way all along I assume and you have 3 year old healthy birds, so who knows. Can't be messing up too bad. ;-)
Well they're not all three year old birds. Maybe a third or three year old. And they are in a large pen. I have a road on either side so I can't let him wander into the road. I'm uploading a file of the pen and coops.
This is not very important, but thought I'd share it. All the chicks that were born this year are actually pullets, not hens. The males are cockerels, not roosters. They become hens and roosters at one year old. On the feed, my chickens, generally 12 of them, are in a 4,000 SF area to semi-free range, but they also have 3 food and water stations available all day. They don't eat as much as I'd like from them, but I think it is a good practice to make sure there is plenty of food and water available at all times. Because chickens will sometimes chase others away from "their" food, I want anyone towards the bottom of the pecking order to never go hungry.
I now see what I need to do! I have some work to do, lol. I have half pullets and cockerels and the other half hens and one rooster. I feel better now.

Attachments

• 20190927_073354.jpg
    20190927_073354.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 4
I have 22 chickens and the area is huge. It's not as big as a football field but altogether it would be close. I have two chicken coops with three nesting boxes each (those prefab kind you buy from Tractor Supply). There are different sections because I kept expanding. This helps when I need to separate, as I did when the chicks graduated to the outside.
Those coops are for about 8 chickens each, They may be over crowded. I have one (what is left after a bear rolled it around) I had 9 in it which was ok because at the time they were small and young. But I wouldn't put any more than that in them. It could be an over crowded issue

It sounds like you are throwing food to them once a day in the morning, which they eat. But they "have no body mass, " are lethargic and dying. It sounds to me as if they simply are not getting enough to eat. They need feed available all day long. Provide all-flock or grower in feeders they can access all day long and I bet you see improvement. They also need grit and oyster shell avilable in separate dishes. Good luck!
Layer feed is great if you only have females and they are already laying eggs. This is common for large scale production farms, not so for backyard farming. If you have young females not yet laying or have males layer feed isn't for your flock.

I agree with the feeding layer to the chicks might be an issue, the extra calcium in layer can/may cause kidney/liver (?) issues in Roos and chicks.

All Flock/Flock Raiser with a separate dish of OY for the layers is what I'm doing now. No issues with shells nor laying.
This is best for mixed age flocks and mixed gender flocks.

And though it's been mentioned, don't forget the grit. They can starrve to death without it. Chickens have no stomachs, the silly things, and no teeth! They have gizzards, a tough muscle that, when it contains grit, uses that grit to grind their food into digestible bits. Aren't you glad you don't have to eat gravel to survive? :lau But we, their kind and loving keepers, do have to supply it for them. They can have my share.
Very important! I use small hanging dispensers, one for grit, one for oyster shell, always full. Males and non-laying females might investigate the oyster shell but won't want to eat it. If you feed layer feed they have no choice but to eat the calcium. Every chicken needs grit.

Thank you so very much. I've actually wondered if anyone ever "bands" their chickens so that they can actually keep track of them (just as they band wildlife to keep track of them)? I think I may have given the wrong idea that some of these are "chicks" and they are not. The roosters are wanting to mate and the hens are not quite the size of the older ones but definitely about as large in height as the adults. One final thought: Should I dust each chicken for mites? Do people do this routinely? Thanks again.
Size isn't the determining factor here. Age in weeks and whether they have begun to lay eggs.

I have two chicken coops with three nesting boxes each (those prefab kind you buy from Tractor Supply).
Red flag alert. 22 birds in a coop area that, if the 2 coops were altered by totally enclosing them to become strictly henhouse without attached run, can hold 12 chickens max! If not used only as henhouses they each are made to hold 1, count em, 1 chicken. In crowded conditions Dominant birds will pick the feathers off those low on the totem pole. They will also refuse to let them eat, starving the lower in the pecking order, ie. the chicks.

I also deal with auto immune illness, and know how stress can impact your immune system and cause flares. For what it's worth, I found that the raw wildflower honey I collect from my honeybees has proven to be a great boost to my immune system. The key is that it must be local honey - collected from flowers / pollen / nectar from flowers near your home.
Again - be well. And good luck with the chicks.
Thank you so very much for your extremely thoughtful post. My dad had the progressive form of MS, his sister had it, MY sister has it, I have it, and now my daughter may have it. And it's NOT hereditary!

Chickens do have stomachs. The proventriculus is the gastric stomach. However, it does little nutrient absorption. The bulk of digestion happens in the small intestine.

Oops! Thanks. I did not see anything marked "stomach" in the schematics I saw, the digestive tract went straight from gizzard to intestine. I can't seem to c&p links any more so I can't share what I saw.

Layer feed is great if you only have females and they are already laying eggs. This is common for large scale production farms, not so for backyard farming. If you have young females not yet laying or have males layer feed isn't for your flock.

This is best for mixed age flocks and mixed gender flocks.

Very important! I use small hanging dispensers, one for grit, one for oyster shell, always full. Males and non-laying females might investigate the oyster shell but won't want to eat it. If you feed layer feed they have no choice but to eat the calcium. Every chicken needs grit.

Size isn't the determining factor here. Age in weeks and whether they have begun to lay eggs.

Red flag alert. 22 birds in a coop area that, if the 2 coops were altered by totally enclosing them to become strictly henhouse without attached run, can hold 12 chickens max! If not used only as henhouses they each are made to hold 1, count em, 1 chicken. In crowded conditions Dominant birds will pick the feathers off those low on the totem pole. They will also refuse to let them eat, starving the lower in the pecking order, ie. the chicks.
Thank you for this. The two prefab units I bought from Tractor Supply are identical, consisting of three nesting boxes each, an enclosed roosting area with tray and ventilation window, and then a small "run" with roosting posts. They are open all the time and are within the whole fenced in area which was part of a pine forest. The pic is rather deceiving because one cannot see how far back it goes. I have one additional spot with three nesting boxes that is under cover but open. It's never used by them and I can't blame them. It's about to be history. I do appreciate your candor, too. I realize size doesn't determine when egg laying begins and didn't mean to infer that.

Back
Top Bottom