What hath God wrought/or what has Jimmy done???

You do have a nice big pen, and I see your layer boxes, but where do they sleep at night? Do they have an enclosed building or coop, with roosts, to keep them secure from predators and out of the weather?

View attachment 1919036 View attachment 1919036 View attachment 1919037 View attachment 1919039
Well they're not all three year old birds. Maybe a third or three year old. And they are in a large pen. I have a road on either side so I can't let him wander into the road. I'm uploading a file of the pen and coops.

I now see what I need to do! I have some work to do, lol. I have half pullets and cockerels and the other half hens and one rooster. I feel better now.
That is a nice big run, but it looks like dirt and leaves to me. My run is lush and green, and therefore a great habitat for worms and bugs, and I still worry that my chickens wouldn't find enough to eat to just free range all day. I think your little ones are being food deprived.

That is a nice big run, but it looks like dirt and leaves to me. My run is lush and green, and therefore a great habitat for worms and bugs, and I still worry that my chickens wouldn't find enough to eat to just free range all day. I think your little ones are being food deprived.
It did have some vegetation, but now it is dirt and leaves. They've eaten all the worms and bugs after I cut down trees. I have another large, grassy area that would be so much better and I've debated about moving them there. Now I know I will. But dang they tear it up so fast!!! Thank you ValerieJ

You do have a nice big pen, and I see your layer boxes, but where do they sleep at night? Do they have an enclosed building or coop, with roosts, to keep them secure from predators and out of the weather?
They sleep in the enclosed area either where the protective wire keeps them from predators. It has a roof and an enclosed area where others roost at night. Some, however, roost in the trees.

Great reply! It's just the young that's dying. I have to areas I feed for the very reason you suggest. I bought this 'mister' and lowered it so that it would provide a cool mist, but I have no idea whether this helps chickens or not. It probably just satisfies me. The egg laying had ceased altogether, so at least that has started back. Thank you so much.
You can’t feed layer crumbles to baby chicks, it will cause their kidneys to shut down. You need to switch all of your chickens to chick starter until the youngest ones start laying. Then switch them back to layer feed once they are all laying.

It did have some vegetation, but now it is dirt and leaves. They've eaten all the worms and bugs after I cut down trees. I have another large, grassy area that would be so much better and I've debated about moving them there. Now I know I will. But dang they tear it up so fast!!! Thank you ValerieJ
My vote is for providing food and water stations, at least two, all day long. You are right. They will tear up the new area too.

You can’t feed layer crumbles to baby chicks, it will cause their kidneys to shut down. You need to switch all of your chickens to chick starter until the youngest ones start laying. Then switch them back to layer feed once they are all laying.
Thanks, but they're not baby chicks. I fed them starter for the right amount of time called for by all I read. I hope I clarified this in a later post, but I thank you so very much.

Back
Top Bottom