What have I done!? Meyer's just called - END OF STORY ON PAGE 11

How enraging.
somad.gif
rant.gif

It's such a shame the others didn't make it.

Best wishes to you and your remaining chicks!!
hugs.gif
fl.gif

well, here I am stepping in to the fire....

I am embarressed about this whole thread. Here's the deal:

When you order chicks, you can get a small order (less than 25) or a large order (more than 25). Small orders HAVE to go out Express Mail which is SUPPOSED to be guarantteed by the USPS no later than 2nd day BY 3PM.

Large orders ship out Priority and should be there within 2-3 days. We at Meyer Hatchery guarantee all orders 100% even if its the post offices fault. So if you lost some, you need to call within the first 48 hours if possible, or email me: I'll space this out so I dont get bots...but its my name Dawn and then the rest is normal... @ meyer hatchery. com.

I love this thread and I love my job, but its instances like this that frusterate me to death. I am personally so sorry you lost those chicks and i wish I knew earlier to help you.

For all you others, please note that shippping baby chicks is completely humane. They glean enough nutrients from the inside of the yolk membrane to stay alive 2-4 days after hatching. They are the only animal that doesn't need a Mama for food purposes. Normally things ship well and end well. Unfortunately its the bad stories like these that rise to the surface. We ship/hatch out over 50 thousand chicks a week and to lose maybe 1% of that, I'm serious, is a pretty good average.

I sincerely wish you well.

I am over it.
As far as shipping goes:
I wasn't able to file for a refund on the delayed shipping because USPS says while the shipment arrived after the allowed time it is only the shipper that can file and Meyer's said live shipments don't fall under the same express overnight guarantee (not what USPS said. USPS said overnight express is overnight express. you pay the fee and you get the service. doesn't matter to them if you ship a bird or a rock) so the Meyer's rep refused to file for it.
At this point my surviving chickens are almost old enough to lay! LOL - too late for anybody to file a claim with USPS I'm sure...

Part of what was really aggravating was that there was just no consistency in information given depending on who answered the phone.
From 'they're right here in front of me all packed up' (on Monday) to 'they didn't even hatch until Tuesday', to 'they shipped Tuesday' and so on.
And yes, it would have been nice if Meyer's would have went through the trouble to fill out the USPS form and refunded the Express shipping. Oh well.
I got some nice Marans chicks locally to make up for the chicks I lost and did end up with the little flock I wanted.
It's water under the bridge.
I am sure it works out great for most. For me I wouldn't order again though.

Last edited:
I just read the entire 12 pages and am sitting here with tears in my eyes for those babies. What an ordeal for you and for them. I ordered six babies from mypetchicken dot com to be shipped on Monday June 22 and they arrived the very next day so I consider myself blessed. BTW these are the first babies I have ordered thru the mail and I was on pins and needles (needlessly). they are doing wonderfully and I am so sorry for your ordeal.
hugs.gif

Quote:
I personally, exclusively, use Meyer Hatchery - you will not find better customer service anywhere - it's unfortunate that the chicks did not survive the US Postal system but your beef should be against the US Post Master and not Meyers as those chicks are shipped in good condition. Once they leave the premise of the hatchery, the hatchery has met their obligation.

It's unfortunate the recipient lives in Texas and the shipper originates in Ohio.

I stand behind Meyers 110% and would never consider using another source for my birds or my needs.

Everybody wants the hatchery to be the bad guy - point the finger at the unreliable source which is the postal system for not meeting their obligation. If there is a problem, it needs to be addressed quickly, immediately and with professional courtesy no matter how angry or disappointed the person is - excellent communication can eliminate or resolve nearly all problems nearly all the time.

Karla Phelps
Wooster Ohio
VERY satisfied Meyer Hatchery Customer for Life

Quote:
Hi Karla,
I know it's a really long and tiring thread but things might make more sense is you read it!
wink.png

I ordered from Meyer's because they're the only ones offering Overnight shipping. I tried to order from Ideal (in Texas) first but they don't offer overnight and it should have taken longer to get them from Ideal.
I think my chicks died because BOTH dropped the ball.
Apparently they were already packaged for a whole day before Meyer's even shipped them. And then delayed by USPS another day.
I called Meyer's EVERY DAY and got different answers from them each time I called. That's not great communication to me.
They were the only ones able to do something about the USPS failure of service and they didn't want to do that so that wasn't great service in my opinion either.
So for me it didn't work out very well...
Glad you love them though!

I have read this entire thread and am amazed at the responses.

First of all, I would like to thank Dawn (from Meyers) for participating in the thread. Karin, I hope you read through her post thoroughly and followed up on contacting her about the loss. It's obvious Meyer's customer service extends even through the internet.

Secondly, shipping livestock through the US post system can be sketchy. Obviously, we're willing to take the chance. We hope the outcome is positive, however; sometimes (as Karin has learned) it doesn't quite work out.

Last week, I received my chicks from Meyers without delay. They arrived in good spirit, healthy and eager to stretch. Like Karin, I too live "in the sticks" however; I took delivery at my local post office. There was no confusion. If Karin had taken delivery at her local post office, perhaps things would've worked out differently for her.

Karin, please post a follow-up as to replacement chicks from Meyers.

Back
Top Bottom