what have I done? - updated pics

Pelican49

Songster
11 Years
Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
A couple years ago I was laid off from a job of 28 years. Shortly after that a 5 acre place, right across the road from my Daughter & family, came up for sale. Out in the country where I wish I'd been all my life. My Daughter & son-in-law let me know right away as places out here don't last long. So I bought it. We talked a lot about becoming more self sufficient between the 2 places. Big gardens, pigs, chickens, goats, turkeys and who knows what else? I have 5 acres they have 30.

My Daughter now has 2 Tamworths (heritage pasture pigs), and we're just waiting for them to be old enough to breed - another month or so. My 1st project was to be the chickens (layers first). When (IF) my house in town ever sells I'd planned on building a nice, new, big chicken house. Then I'd get chickens. My breed of choice was Wyandottes, simply because I like their look. This would be my first experiece with chickens. So I joined this board and started reading.

A few days ago I went with my daughter to the feed store (30 miles) to pick up some pig feed and another water barrel. So we walk in the feed store --- Oh look - baby chicks! Aren't they cute. So my Grandson (3) and I are looking at chicks. Awwww. Feed store guy comes over (curses on him). Says he'll let me have the chicks for $1 each and he'll throw in a bag of starter if I take them ALL. He has a shipment of day-olds coming in from Ideal on Friday and needs to clear the tubs of these ancient 2 week old chicks.

My son-in-law's huge ice chest is now in my office, with a light attached and full of chicks. (he'll want it back by 4th of July).
6 Brown Leghorns
5 California Whites
3 Silver Laced Wyandottes
3 Golden Laced Wyandottes
3 Columbian Wyandottes
Nothing like starting out small, huh?

So - new plan. What was and was going to stay the garden shed will now become the chicken house. It's about 8' - 10' wide (once all the shelving is removed) and 20'+ long. It has windows and a skylight. It needs LOTS of work (and a new roof) but I can't afford to build new night now. Who knows, this may work out better.

I'll try to get some pictures this weekend and post them Monday when I'm back here babysitting. (I don't have internet access except at my daughter's until I sell the other house).

Edited to add....
My Daughter & son-in-law were invited out to dinner, so I'm back here babysitting this evening. So, I snapped a few quick pics.

I was leaving the top open on the ice chest during the day when it's hot, but came home this afternoon and one of the California Whites was on top of the waterer - that's not gonna work! So I put a screen over the top

But a picture through the screen wasn't bright of me.
3514385378_516a9a2d4f_m.jpg

I'm just learning to identify breeds, but feed store guy told me what's what. (I must get his name)
White ones are California Whites, tall brown one is Brown Leghorn, one on far right is Silver Laced Wyandotte.
3514385376_03c1864ec3_m.jpg

Cocky looking California White. She has one black spot just above her tail. Silly looking girl. You can just see a couple of the Silver Laced Wyandottes in the background.
3514385372_c0af1c891f_m.jpg

Finally, a Granddaughter
3513158438_06935c62a3.jpg

Last edited:
If your very handy you may be able to go around construction sites and get some good usable lumber. I'm a pack rat and when my neibor built his house I stocked up on all kinds of scrap wood he was getting rid of. The local lumber yards also have busted bundles of shingles you can get for a lesser price if not free. The best thing you can do is let people know your situation, people like to help especialy if it helps clean out their buildings. Good luck.

woot.gif
pelican49! I just added 6 turkey poults and 2 barred rock chicks to my 53 1 1/2 wk old chicks and my 4 wk old "practice" chicks. Look out! It's addicting.....
celebrate.gif

Hi fellow Okie! Congrats on the new peeps - I don't know which feed store you found that chick deal, but I'm glad it wasn't me - I'd probably have done the same thing and I can't have more...just can't!! (but I want them!)

Quote:
Yep....I was hanging out on the internet last night and ordered myself 25 pullet chicks from McMurry's
ep.gif
Well, what can you do? I say just go with the flow
big_smile.png

I agree with the picking up supplies, I actually just watched the curb-side trash as I was going along my way and picked up a couple pieces of plywood that we used for a side of the coop.
I have Wyandottes and I think they layed first of all my chickens. They're beautiful but not my friendliest girls.
Congrats on starting, you'll have a great time.
big_smile.png

Quote:
A mean Boxer? Say it isn't so. Mine are sweethearts.

I just "acquired" another Boxer a short time ago. He was in a concrete pen with 4 other dogs when we found out about them. The 2 little furry dogs were dead and had been for at least a couple days. The 2 huge dogs were not terribly friendly and hiding in a corner was an underweight Boxer boy. The 2 big dogs are now in the care of a no-kill shelter where they're trying to work on their anger issues (not that I blame them). The Boxer spent his first day in my charge at the vet. He got a bath and nails trimmed, all his shots, heatworm check, his huge open pressure sores treated, and skin scrapings. He was losing his hair and his skin was real scaly.

He's been staying at my Daughter's, in her side yard and greenhouse, since I got him as the vet recommended I didn't expose my dog to him until all tests were back, which took 2 1/2 weeks. Since then I've been bringing my boy Leo over here each day so the 2 can learn to get along. Leo's a pussycat, Ty has some issues, so there have been a few scraps - nothing severe.

Ty on his first day.
3384443385_9ee2b10473_m.jpg

3384443391_7abca796fd_m.jpg

Look at that face would ya?
3384443395_46061fb0a5.jpg

Leo & Ty getting acquainted.
3513322438_9c16b4199e_m.jpg

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack this into a dog post. But just thinking about how that idiot treated those dogs gets me going.

Getting back to the chicks... Leo thinks they're very interesting and just stands with his head in the tub whenever I have the lid up. He just watches them run back & forth. He can be trusted, but I wouldn't trust Ty as I don't know him well enough.

Back
Top Bottom