What Have I Done???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by XilverAngel, Sep 4, 2011.

1. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I had an egg that was due today, and it had already pipped, but had not done anything else for approximately 24 hours. It had a hole in it, and i figured it was shrink wrapped so i decided to try and help it out... apparently the top of it was dry, but the rest of it wasn't!! [​IMG] the inside of it starting bleeding a bit when i opened it, and i got so freaked out i decided to just leave it alone. The chick made it out, and is currently under the broody hen, but is not as active and looks very tired. Is it just like this because it just came out, or did i doom this little fella?!?! PLEASE NO MORE CRITICISM ABOUT HOW I SHOULDN'T HAVE OPENED IT, I REALLY THOUGHT IT HAD SHRINK WRAP.... [​IMG] will it survive? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The chick may be weaker because of the blood loss. It may just take him a little more time to recover. I would have helped after 24 hours too.

3. Edwards' East of Eden

Edwards' East of Eden Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Biloxi, MS
    Done is done, don't sweat it anymore. Anything you learn from is salvageable.

And, yeah, maybe she's exhausted because she just got out of there. Is your broody being good, or do you need to bring lil' bit in and under a light?

4. XilverAngel

Jun 28, 2009
    The chick is under the broody right now and she's being a good mom. :] Thanks for all your replies, i really hope it makes it! ><

5. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    It will be ok, don't blame yourself. We all have to learn by doing. [​IMG]

6. XilverAngel

Jun 28, 2009
    Quote:Thank you! I really don't want this little guy to die because of me. [​IMG]

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Honestly, if you have a broody hen doing the work for you, just leave her alone and let her get on with things. The last thing she needs is anyone poking about under her every few hours checking for shrinkwrapped chicks, which is mostly a 'silly human using incubator' problem anyway. For whatever reason (and it IS weird when you think that your bird obviously doesn't wait till day 19 and jack up her wing-pit humidity!) when you've got a hen doing it for you, shrinkwrapping is pretty rare...

Anyway, if it just bled a little bit and after that you left it alone to hatch itself, chances are it'll be okay. Maybe a little weaker for a day or so, but try not to worry too much. We all do stuff like that when we're learning and I know how nerve-wracking it can be when you've convinced yourself you've got a stuck chick. I hope the rest of them hatch out fine [​IMG]

8. XilverAngel

Jun 28, 2009
    Thanks for all the replies! They're all doing great! I've now got 9 gorgeous little chicks all chirping really loudly!! [​IMG] One of them did die due to unknown reasons right after hatching, but the rest of them are ok!! ( i think that one got stepped on on accident or something.... [​IMG])

9. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Pity about the stepped-on one, but congratulations about all the rest of them! Now lets see some photos... [​IMG]

10. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I have had several weak little chicks when they first come out, I would give them a drop of polyvisol and within about an hour they usually perk right up.. I swear by this stuff, it has helped me threw a lot of problems... I always keep two bottles on hand, no I don't usually need that much but I do put some in the water also helps them. It's exspecailly good for weak chicks that may have lost a little more then usual blood...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by