XilverAngel

Songster
10 Years
Jun 28, 2009
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
I had an egg that was due today, and it had already pipped, but had not done anything else for approximately 24 hours. It had a hole in it, and i figured it was shrink wrapped so i decided to try and help it out... apparently the top of it was dry, but the rest of it wasn't!!
hit.gif
the inside of it starting bleeding a bit when i opened it, and i got so freaked out i decided to just leave it alone. The chick made it out, and is currently under the broody hen, but is not as active and looks very tired. Is it just like this because it just came out, or did i doom this little fella?!?! PLEASE NO MORE CRITICISM ABOUT HOW I SHOULDN'T HAVE OPENED IT, I REALLY THOUGHT IT HAD SHRINK WRAP....
hit.gif
will it survive?
hit.gif

Last edited:
Done is done, don't sweat it anymore. Anything you learn from is salvageable.

And, yeah, maybe she's exhausted because she just got out of there. Is your broody being good, or do you need to bring lil' bit in and under a light?

The chick is under the broody right now and she's being a good mom. :] Thanks for all your replies, i really hope it makes it! ><

Honestly, if you have a broody hen doing the work for you, just leave her alone and let her get on with things. The last thing she needs is anyone poking about under her every few hours checking for shrinkwrapped chicks, which is mostly a 'silly human using incubator' problem anyway. For whatever reason (and it IS weird when you think that your bird obviously doesn't wait till day 19 and jack up her wing-pit humidity!) when you've got a hen doing it for you, shrinkwrapping is pretty rare...

Anyway, if it just bled a little bit and after that you left it alone to hatch itself, chances are it'll be okay. Maybe a little weaker for a day or so, but try not to worry too much. We all do stuff like that when we're learning and I know how nerve-wracking it can be when you've convinced yourself you've got a stuck chick. I hope the rest of them hatch out fine
smile.png

Thanks for all the replies! They're all doing great! I've now got 9 gorgeous little chicks all chirping really loudly!!
celebrate.gif
One of them did die due to unknown reasons right after hatching, but the rest of them are ok!! ( i think that one got stepped on on accident or something....
hit.gif
)

I have had several weak little chicks when they first come out, I would give them a drop of polyvisol and within about an hour they usually perk right up.. I swear by this stuff, it has helped me threw a lot of problems... I always keep two bottles on hand, no I don't usually need that much but I do put some in the water also helps them. It's exspecailly good for weak chicks that may have lost a little more then usual blood...

Back
Top Bottom