What have I got here and whats it good for?

ChickMagnets

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 2, 2012
Hello everyone. I'm in North Eastern Panama, Bocas Del Toro Province, and thought it'd be a good idea to raise some chickens (more for fun than anything else). My issue is that I dont know what type I have and what they are good for...Laying, meat...help me out please.

The top ones look similar to Black Sexlink cockerels, but are quite chunky with very thick legs -- probably best for meat, especially since they all look like cockerels. The cockerel in the back of the second picture reminds me of the Dixie Rainbow meat breed I raised a couple years ago. They may be mutts. Where did you get them from?

And welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

how old? there's a definite hen in the center on the first pic. the bigger birds are good for meat as is any unwanted roos. hens of any brred lay eggs, but some better than others and I dont know what you have for breeds over there

I see a lot of COCKERELS that will be great for EATING! The one pullet in the top picture is the only one without a large, red comb.

The second picture appears to be three pullets and a roo (the one in the middle).

They all look like mixes.

I see one pullet in the first pic and they look to be Plymouth Rock crosses (great for eating
wink.png
). I have no clue what the breed is of the chickens in the second pic though.
The pullets all look to be at POL
thumbsup.gif

I'm thinking they're some variety of sex-link. I don't know the breeds in panama, but I think all the black and white barred birds in the first pic are roosters, and all the brown birds in the second pic are hens. I think the center hen in the second pic is laying or close. A better pic of just her would help, but I don't think that's a cockeral.

Okay, looking again, those may be saddle feathers, as stated a nice profile shot of the bird in question would help.

By the body type, they look like general dual purpose birds. Hens will lay nicely, roos will be good for eating but not huge like an american supermarket bird.

They may be some kind of indiginous chicken. The coloring and barring of the brown ones kind of remind me of the Basque chickens I've seen on Greenfire's page, so they may be a bird that ahs been bred, by man or nature, for your area.

they are verry interesting chickens

there is 1 hen and 7 roosters in the first pic they are not anny reconized breed in the USA but may be so kind of local breed they apere to all have the same color and shape and are a silver over bared color and look heavy they are more than likely good for eggs and meet both

the secound pic there is 3 hens and 1 rosster they also are not a reconized US breed not again they all have the same color and bild and are more than likely a local breed and also most likey good for eggs and meet both

Looks like mutts to me. Bunch of boys in there and well bred too, I'd say they will make good food. From the look of things, they'll grow to be quite meaty.

Wow everyone! Thanks for the insight. We have had them since the beginning of December. They are all just over 4 pounds already but no eggs yet. I read that I need to build a few little cubbies to get any to lay. I'll post more pictures later this evening. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom