What have I got here?

Dec 12, 2019
Ouachita Mountains
So title says it all. No one has tried to crow or shown typical rooster like behavior. Guesses on sex and breed are welcome.

IMG_20200517_183531106.jpg

This is Chickabelle. S/he was sold to me as a week old "Assorted Heavy" chicken in mid-March. So about 10 weeks old approximately.

IMG_20200517_183725222.jpg

This is Lucy who is also around 10 weeks old. S/he was sold to me as an Ameraucana but I was told that was unlikely since I bought her/him at a feed store who orders from a hatchery. But that is what the label on the bin s/he was in read. S/he has blue legs and feet, a fluffy black beard and an assortment of white, black, black and white polka dot and striped feathers with the stripe run with the shaft of the feather, not across it like a barred rock feather.

IMG_20200517_182119700.jpg

This is Chickara and this is really the best picture I could get of him/her. Other than being a bit camera shy, she came from the same bin as Lucy. S/he has much less white feathering than Lucy and no beard or muff or comb really to speak of. Still has the blue legs and feet though.

IMG_20200517_181935366.jpg

This is Ender the photobombing chicken. She tried to put herself in almost every picture. She was sold to me as an 8 week old barred rock pullet in mid-April so she is about 13 weeks old now. She has the largest comb of all the chickens but she is also the oldest. S/he is always the first one to come running to me when I go in the coop and seems to be at the top of the pecking order but that could be just because s/he is the biggeest/oldest.

australorps.jpg

Last but not least the two littlest which ds has named Zombie and Creeper. Yes he loves Minecraft. Those names are still subject to change so name suggestions are welcome too. They were traded to me as Australorps and told they were both female because Australorps are autosexing? I've never heard that Australorps were autosexing but I've never heard that they weren't either so I'm not sure what to believe. They have always been standoffish and skittish of being handled. They were 2 - 3 days old when I got them in mid-April so they are old about 4 weeks old so no worries if they are too young to tell much of anything yet. They are also extremely camera shy.

Chickabelle is a pullet...maybe a Rhode Island Red.
Lucy and Chickara are Easter Eggers, and look like pullets.
Ender is a Barred Rock pullet.
Zombie and Creeper look like pullets, but wait a few weeks and see if they have any comb development.

Back
Top Bottom