What have you been reading?

Pics
Have you had your eyes checked recently? Possibly also check how well your eyes work together.

Otherwise, pick really, really, really good books for the next few choices. It helps to alternate easy reads with those that stretch your reading level.
My eyesight is decent. I might need a new prescription, but I'm nearsighted. The books I want to read are mostly non-fiction, but there are a few fiction books I'm interested in too.

Also make sure not to start any other books before you finish your current one!
I've started reading multiple books lol
Some that I want to read are particularly long, like texts talking about a field of study, and I doubt I'll ever read one of those cover-to-cover, but I have trouble getting much reading done at all :(
Inattention is a curse. It's ironic how difficult it is for me to read despite vocab being a strength for me. Anyway sorry for complaining lol. I think a lot of what I know about my interests has come from fairly superficial skimming, and I think it's possible to learn a lot from that if you skim enough material on a particular topic, but some books I avoid skimming because I feel that I should read them the "right" way, and that ultimately leads to me making less progress than I would if I just flipped through various books and skimmed parts of them.

Finished:

The Hammer of Thor. Magnus Chase book #2

Ship of the Dead. Magnus Chase book #3

Little Princes, One Man’s Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal by Conor Grennan

Started:

Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson

Voices of Chernobyl by Svetlana Alexievich

Finished:
Kidnapped by Robert Lewis Stevenson ( Mildy interesting. I think I would have liked it a lot as a kid. Not as exciting now though.)

Holes by Louis Sacher
( It had a sort of fantasy element to it that was interesting. It was almost exactly like the movie)

Started:
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Continuing:
Great American Short Stories (it’s a rather thick book and I’m only reading one or two of the stories a week so it’s taking awhile)

Voices From Chernobyl

right now i just started: The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill.

i also recently finished the Princess Academy series. i LOVED LOVED it!! its below my age level for readibg, but i still enjoyed the series!

does anyone have any recommendations for some good romance novels? im a teen so nothing explicit or questionable pls. just some nice romance. romance is one of my favorite generes

Last edited:
So two week worth of updates. I was on vacation for part of last week so I got a good bit of reading done.

Started:

The Radium Girls by Kate Moore

The Short Stories of Anton Chekhov by Anton Chekhov

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

Finished:

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child ( Popular opinion was correct. This reads like bad fanfiction. It was pretty disappointing)

The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams ( interesting, I’d be interested to see what it looks like in play format)

This Woven Kingdom by Tahereh Mafi ( Neither Bad nor brilliant felt like a pretty standard young adult fantasy romance. Sadly for me I thought it was a stand-alone: it’s not it’s the first in a new series. Book #2 won’t be out for awhile.)

Voices From Chernobyl by Svetlana Alexievich (Very interesting book. First hand accounts from people who lived in and around Chernobyl at the time of the accident and the clean up crews sent in. It was interesting to hear all the different stories and perspectives on the fallout.)

Catcher In the Rye

Continuing: Great American Short Stories

I keep a log of the books I've read, including a brief summary and a few most-liked snippets or quotes. It's my way of holding myself responsible for actually reading the books I collect. Sadly, my reading falls off -- a LOT -- when weather improves and I need to work outdoors.

The last book I read cover-to-cover was the Splendid and the Vile, Erik Larson's saga of the Churchill family during WWII, suggested and loaned to me by a friend. I was surprised that I liked it as much as I did.

I just got my latest Book Outlet order (curses to that company and its endless and hard-to-ignore emails). I am reading Buzz Sting Bite: Why We Need Insects (because I need some convincing, especially as I battle swarms of flies).

When we have the next period of rainy weather, I can dig into A Time to Remember, which is two novels: The Empty House and The Day of the Storm, by one of my favorites, Rosamunde Pilcher.

I have an entire shelf of classics that I bought at a school auction some years ago, mostly still unread, everything from Jane Austen to Charles Dickens. My favorite from that group is Pearl Buck's The Good Earth. Great book, terrible movie.

Back
Top Bottom