What height are everyones coop off the floor?

Hi I was wondering what height most people have their coop off the floor?

I've done mine about 2 foot but Mrs Jambo has said it's too high!?! I was hoping to have the food and water under it so it's sheltered but the run is going to have a roof on it as well so that might not be a big issue?? View attachment 2208797
As long as you provide a ramp i would go 3 ft. Ours is three ft and it is tough enough getting under there with food and water changes.

Hi I was wondering what height most people have their coop off the floor?

I've done mine about 2 foot but Mrs Jambo has said it's too high!?! I was hoping to have the food and water under it so it's sheltered but the run is going to have a roof on it as well so that might not be a big issue?? View attachment 2208797
Mine is about 2 feet as well. I have a ramp that the girls go up and down.

I can see where small coops for a very few chickens would be convenient off the ground, especially where there's limited space for the run, and issues with providing shade.
Here, our coop is on a 24' x 16' old cement foundation, and holds about 35 birds comfortably over winter. Of course it's on the ground! Your little chicken palaces are adorable! Mine is more like 'farm rustic'.
IMG_1430 (2).JPG

And it really is level, I just took a terrible photo!
Mary

I can see where small coops for a very few chickens would be convenient off the ground, especially where there's limited space for the run, and issues with providing shade.
Here, our coop is on a 24' x 16' old cement foundation, and holds about 35 birds comfortably over winter. Of course it's on the ground! Your little chicken palaces are adorable! Mine is more like 'farm rustic'.

I love your farm rustic coop!

Ours is 28in, our 7 week old chicks love hanging out underneath and I have their water bucket hung under there since it’s so shaded.
they have no trouble managing the ramp, even my gimpy chick.
I find it a perfect height to access to manage and check on chickies.

Ours is about three feet high. It's four feet deep and twelve feet long, two feet on each end is for nesting boxes with access doors. The back side is an enclosed run 12' by 10' divided in half with chicken wire. There's a little door that can be opened and closed for separation or access to both sides of the run. The under side of the coop is also divided in half. One side has a removable screened door for the ducks I once had and the other end houses 3 Rubbermaid garbage cans for feed on the front side and halfway through that side to the back, it's walled so the chickens can get out of the weather. We put a little door on the end of this area for their water. Easy to access from outside to replenish without going into the run. There's a long ramp on the back to get in and out. The front has two large doors that open so I can roll the wheelbarrow right up to it and rake out the shavings. I've always thought my husband is a genius for making this building so efficient!

My current coop is made out of metal and sits on the ground. Food, water and nest boxes are inside off the ground. More water is kept outside.

Count me among those whose coop is 3' (and a little more in my case) above ground. I have a moderately large house area for the size of my flock - most of 100 sq ft of floor - in a "U" shape, so I can roll the wheel barrow/garden cart right into the middle, stand there with a rake, and none of the spent bedding is more than 4' away. Easy reach for bad backs. The whole thing, including the hollow in the U is under roof, with a full sized door forming an O when closed, giving me more than 100 sq ft underneath for watering cups, bowls, sheltering the gravity feeders out of the weather, and allowing a place for the eight ducks to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom