What height are everyones coop off the floor?

Mine is 2 feet off the ground and makes a nice shelter from wind and sun as it is enclosed on the south and west side. We keep their water and food under there and a small roost. They like it a lot. I do worry that for newly hatched chicks it could be dangerous to try to get down the ramp safely, but don’t think it’s a concern if you are not hatching chicks.
Hi I was wondering what height most people have their coop off the floor?

I've done mine about 2 foot but Mrs Jambo has said it's too high!?! I was hoping to have the food and water under it so it's sheltered but the run is going to have a roof on it as well so that might not be a big issue?? View attachment 2208797

I've done mine about 2 foot but Mrs Jambo has said it's too high!?! I was hoping to have the food and water under it so it's sheltered but the run is going to have a roof on it as well so that might not be a big issue?? View attachment 2208797
That’s perfect. Chickens prefer to be high at night. They’d roost in a tree if the could.

My coop is ground level with attached run to coop, if it rains, they go back into the coop, they can come and go if it gets too hot outside.

Mine is about 3ft and high enough to park my wheel barrow under the cleaning door to sweep out dirty straw. I can easily reach the entire coop from both sides to clean it out this way without bending over. I have a bad back. The layer boxes are on the opposite side and the run is to the right of this pic with the chickens door and ramp. They can go under the coop in bad weather to stay dry.

Attachments

• 97AECC82-3941-4AF1-945C-6AD489C06CB9.jpeg
    97AECC82-3941-4AF1-945C-6AD489C06CB9.jpeg
    955.4 KB · Views: 23
My raised coops floor is just above wheelbarrow height. I park it in front of people door and use a long handled rake to get soiled shavings into wheelbarrow. GC
That is an awesome idea! Anything that makes raking/cleaning the coop an easier task is a good thing.

if I ever redo my coop, I’ll keep this trick about wheelbarrow height in mind.

That is very close to the height of my coop. And my hens love it there. My back loves the easy clean out directly into a wheelbarrow.
The main problem with high off the ground coops is cold winters. I can really see it being a problem if we had icy winters with long periods with no warming and very cold nights. Yup then I'd be putting my coop on the ground and looking for ways to weather proof it. But, I live in Oregon and the temps rarely drop below 45 and when they do, only for a day or so. I'd say always keep mitigating factors in mind.
When I had a low to the ground coop I had constant problems with rats burrowing under the coop. I live near water so rats are a problem that never goes away.

Two feet. Room for shading and good dustbaths. Suspended ramp one foot high. Two nest boxes with curtains. Side opens for cleaning. Window for some light. Neighbours reckon it is a Chook Hilton. Now have 4 girls, two having a radical molt. Just love those fresh eggs.
2 Coop Open.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20181014153513.jpg
    IMG20181014153513.jpg
    617.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 1 Hilton.jpg
    1 Hilton.jpg
    953.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom