What hens are best for a maran rooster?

Cluck2013

Songster
Jun 12, 2016
We have had chickens for years now, but this year we are keeping 2 roosters. I was wondering about the size of the black maran rooster compared to my hens. Like will he be to big for them? The hens we have are comets, barred rock, andalusian, wheaten maran, leghorns, silver pencil laced wyandotte, Easter eggers, and some barnyard mixes (bufforphington/Easter egger cross which have orphington body type). He would mostly hang around the comets and barred rocks while our buttercup claims most others.

Marans roosters are my favorite so far. :love

He will be fine with all of your hens. I only separate bantam hens to prevent accidental injury... like you say, from size difference.

I'm not sure how you know which hens will be claimed by which boy. The hens will decide that, unless that's how it already is. :confused:

Marans roosters are my favorite so far. :love

He will be fine with all of your hens. I only separate bantam hens to prevent accidental injury... like you say, from size difference.

I'm not sure how you know which hens will be claimed by which boy. The hens will decide that, unless that's how it already is. :confused:
They have pretty much decided who goes where. The maran keeps trying to recruit more girls. He stays with the older hens who are bossy and don't like the younger ones hanging around. Sometimes, he tries to get a couple of young hens to go with him, but the bossy ones push them away back to the others they were raised with who are with the buttercup rooster.
I also figured that he would be ok with most of the hens, just cautious about the smaller ones. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom