What % hi protein do you feed broilers 20%? 23%? when do you change?

maf2008

Songster
12 Years
Feb 19, 2009
Hi... getting my first batch of broilers (cornish x)
tongue2.gif

(smaller variety cornish roasters frm McMurrays not supossed to grow to fast...)

What do you suggest that I feed them? medicated starter for 2 weeks and then switch to 23% or 20% hi protein? Because I do not want to "push" them... I will be ok with processing at a slower growth of 12/14 weeks for a 7/8 pounder instead of problems of pushing to get a 10 pounder in 8 weeks.. I am not a business and do not have to rush.....

All advice and your experience appreciated!
thumbsup.gif

CARS

Songster
10 Years
11 Years
Jan 24, 2009
Saint James/ Comfrey MN
I have never used medicated feed.

What I do is feed them chick starter when they are in the brooder and then after a few weeks (when they kinda feather out) I switch them to what my store calls Meat Maker. It's for broilers, turkeys, etc. Basically hi-pro gamebird feed.

I feed them 12 hours and then take the food away for 12. (give or take a hour depending on my schedule.

tonini3059

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv
11 Years
Nov 6, 2008
Southwestern PA
I just finished a batch and I fed them 24% for five weeks, thats four in the brooder and then one out on pasture. After that I switched them to 20% for another three weeks. I had good luck, no leg problems, breast blisters, fluid in the body cavity etc that they are known for. They were also very active and acting like chickens not just a digestive system with feathers. Hope this helps.

jaku

Songster
12 Years
Jan 13, 2008
Howard City, Michigan
I feed mine 22% non-medicated broiler feed from day one until processing day. The high protein feed isn't to push the birds to grow faster- their genetics do that. It's to help their bodies keep up with the fast growth rate. They need the high protein feed.

Top Bottom