What hight of coop for large fowl Cornish ?

cow bay rooster

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2015
Cowichan Bay Vancouver Island BC
So I just put a dozen white Cornish eggs in the incubator. My plan is to keep them true and not cross breed them. I want to keep what ever amount of hens that hatch as well as a rooster so that I can hatch more chicks in the future to replenish the flock as I consume the roosters and some hens if the flock grows to big.

My question is do these birds need for same amount of room as egg layers and what hight do I put their roost?

Any help will be appreciated!

Last edited:
Standard traditional Cornish are just like every other large breed chicken, with the same needs as any other chicken. Cornish cross chickens on the other hand are only bred to do one thing, grow. They are two very different things. If you are hatching Cornish cross chicks, they will be ready for slaughter by 8 weeks. Purebred Cornish will be ready for harvest by 4 to 6 months. Neither are spectacular layers. You might only get a few eggs a week from each hen.

Thanks for the info, I didn't get the Cornish for eating eggs but to grow for food. I just wasn't sure if because of their weight and shape if they could jump as well or high as the layers I have now. Wasn't sure if I needed to keep the coop fairly low with a easy grade ramp for them to get into the coop.

Standard traditional Cornish are just like every other large breed chicken, with the same needs as any other chicken. Cornish cross chickens on the other hand are only bred to do one thing, grow. They are two very different things. If you are hatching Cornish cross chicks, they will be ready for slaughter by 8 weeks. Purebred Cornish will be ready for harvest by 4 to 6 months. Neither are spectacular layers. You might only get a few eggs a week from each hen.

Back
Top Bottom