What hooked you on chickens?

thank okster!
yippiechickie.gif

I also got chickens just to be able to get eggs without supporting the battery-house industry!!! started with EEs

Then my kids wanted chickens they started with cochins & silkies I fell in love with them & I was hooked
love.gif
they were more fun then the dogs
wink.png

nccountrygirl, hey! I was born in Columbia, then my family moved to Little Mountain for a few years, then bought the farm outside of Newberry, SC. I remember a town called Kingstree.

Small world. I loved that farm; some of my favorite memories.

The atkins diet got me eating alot of eggs which got me to want a 'few'
lau.gif
chickens. Now, i love them so much, i wouldn't care if they never laid another egg....They are pets. And BTW.....I lost 25# and H lost 50# by simply reducing our carb intake. (Just in case anyone wondered)

I don't remember, but will look at my birth certificate. This was in 1949, so there couldn't have been too many hospitals in Columbia then (smile).

I showed heifers at the Newberry County Fair.

As a kid, I loved going to collect the eggs at my Aunt's house. I wanted to have my own and begged and pleaded with my Dad. Finally he said yes and I got some Japanese Bantams, white with black tails. They were my babies, I carried them everywhere and played with them like a cat or dog. When I got married moved out, not more chickens, but my wife always knew the plan was for us to get land so I could again have chickens and horses.

Five years ago, that dream came true. Yeah!

Mine started with 2 chicks at Easter for the kids.
Oldest DD didn't want a chicken so we got one each for the other 2 kids.
Then oldest DD had to have one, so we went Monday after Easter to get her one and I got a pair too.
So our obsession started innocently enough with 5 chicks and has grown to 54 currently.

Eggs and to support sustainablility I want to grow 100% of my food when I grow up. so this is a start they are in a tractor on my families one acre of land in the suburbs.

I am hooked and Getting more luckely my family likes them to and will like them more when they start to lay.

Henry

Back
Top Bottom