What hooked you on chickens?

seedcorn

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
NE. IN
For me it was bantam cochins. When they hatched their first bunch and having the pair raise the babies. It was funny to watch chicks run under either to get warm and neither carrying. When you found one, you found them all parents/chicks w/in 1 foot of each other. With the parents always clucking as if they just found gold to show the chicks.

In 2003 I raised a bunch of Barred Rock pullets for my Brother. I kept 6 if the hens. One of which was Hefty and she is still here.

That winter I got a copy of the Mcmurray catalog and made my first order for early 2004. When a young bantam cochin, dolly, got sick I went online to see if I could find out what was wrong. Learned it was Cocci and treated her successfully, she was a momma this past summer.

The online community of chicken lovers fed my new obsession.

That summer I bought my first hovabator and the obsession began. Cochins are still a focal point. Took awhile to get the stock I wanted, but I am showing 2 of the Standards for the first time in 2 weeks. My mutts and pet cochins will always be here and loved for who they are.

Matt
Morganton, NC

Millie!
She lost her two coop mates and was lonely...
coop1a.jpg

I just wanted 2 or 3 more to keep her company.
Then I joined BYC...the enabler forum!!
gig.gif

My grandma was raised on a farm and always talked about how much she loved the chickens. Always made me want to have a farm and raise chickens. I've got one of those, now I just need the farm!

I absolutly LOVe animals and I had always had a dream to have chickens in my yard. When we moved to our farm that was the first thing I did. I bought me a flock of chickens...now I am hooked!

Honestly I originally got chickens just to be able to get eggs without supporting the battery-house industry. I just figured they would be unobjectionable utility animals, you know? I am not a bird person at all, apart from watching wild birds at the feeder.

But then it turned out, who knew?, that our 3 chickens are actually really smart, and trainable, and have very distict and entertaining personalities. Also, what else is that entertaining to watch *and* gives you breakfast materials?
smile.png
By the time I got to giving one of them 'sitz baths' for eggbinding (sadly, she eventually did not make it) and she was making little conversational clucks at all the right times as I told her stories, and would rest her head on my hand in the dishpan and fall half asleep, it was pretty clear that I was going to need some more chickens to play with
tongue.png

Pat

Back
Top Bottom