what/how much daily treats?

seamonkee

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 9, 2011
Hi there,
I am having a heck of a time finding info on how often is OK to give my 10 hens your henny penny treat, which is a bunch of seeds, and how much per hen.
I am not sure if I should be giving it to them daily. they also have unlimited access to lay pellets via trigger feeders and get daily kitchen fruit and vegie scraps and garden weeds.
they are in the habit of coming a-runnin' for their seeds each morning.
how much is unhealthy?
thanks!
-clio

Treats should be no more than 10% of their daily feed, each hen should eat 1/3 to 1/2 cup feed per day, closer to 1/3 but size dictates. Anything other than formulated feed is a treat so kitchen scraps, fruit and veg are still treats.

That being said, I give my flock greens every day in a suet cage and a handful of seeds with a handful of animal protein every morning and I have 8 grown birds right now. It's about half a cup total.

Hi there,
I am having a heck of a time finding info on how often is OK to give my 10 hens your henny penny treat, which is a bunch of seeds, and how much per hen.
I am not sure if I should be giving it to them daily. they also have unlimited access to lay pellets via trigger feeders and get daily kitchen fruit and vegie scraps and garden weeds.
they are in the habit of coming a-runnin' for their seeds each morning.
how much is unhealthy?
thanks!
-clio

Igive many different types of treats to my birds some depending on the time of the year and some year-round. I have an orchard, I give my birds bruised fruits that are neither fit for Market nor rotten that includes mango, guava, litchi and banana. I also give them some native fruits like black plum, cluster fig, monkey fruit, jackfruit, veggies, cucumber, lentils, Milo, cracked corn,cooked rice, pumpkin, yoghurt, wheat bran, sunflower seeds and leftovers. Greens including barseem and young oat shoots. However I grow non of them strictly for treats those are only extras. For example I grow fruits, veggies and milk products like yoghurt for the market, Milo, corn, barseem and oat for my buffaloes, native fruits grow wild. Only thing that I grow strictly for treats are Black soldier fly larvae and they are my birds absolute favourite.

I give my full size adult chickens a Scratch Grains treat daily around 9 am. 2 tablespoons per hen, a 1/4 per 2 hens scattered in their pen.
That's it, no kitchen or table scraps.
They have unlimited poultry feed available in their coops.
I do let them free range an hour before sunset daily, weather permitting. GC

Back
Top Bottom