1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What humidity % is right?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CocoPopz, Mar 2, 2015.

1. CocoPopz

CocoPopz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    Just wondered what people advise my humidity % should be for the first 18 days and then the last 3 days?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    LOL. I just left you my philosophy on your other thread. lol I will add here though that at lockdown I up mine to 75% for hatch. I am more comfortable with a higher perecentage at hatch than the lower recommended 65% because I am not a "DO NOT OPEN THE BATOR AFTER LOCKDOWN FOR ANY REASON hatcher." I will assit if I feel it's necessary and I prefer not to leave my chicks in the bator until the end, so for me, this gives me the comfort of knowing if I do open the bator, I have extra leeway that someone that does not open does not need.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    There is no right and wrong % for humidty. It is what ever works best for you. Each home/room incubator and eggs are different. For me I like 45% day 1-18 and at least 65% at lockdown. I just find 45% is good for me and my eggs and incubator. The average is what is needed and with my incubator I just set 45% into it and the pump does the rest. Once it drops to 44% the pump starts pumping water in this can take a few minutes so it will drop more maybe 41% then once the water is in it creeps up. The pump stops when it reaches 45% but the humidty goes up to 48% gradually dropping back down so creating the average. I'm a hands off hatcher and don't open and don't remove chicks. I only open three times during incubation for candling. What happens happens and nature takes its course.

4. CocoPopz

CocoPopz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    Thank you, I'll see what works for me, before I always used to open it when I first started but my full automatic incubator is down so I'm on my old en, which I'm struggling with, I don't like to open incubator and maybe that's why last lot went wrong, if I see one struggling for more than 24hours and no progress I usually help and it's worked, I would never be able to watch anything die, thank you for your help, learning a lot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by