what hunting dog breed do you perfer and why ?

I have an 11 month old Wire Haired Pointing Griffon. I am falling hard for the breed.
They retrieve, flush, track and play with the kids.
Darn dog from the first day here has to sleep on MY bed. I have not convinced him the floor is his spot.
Yesterday when I brought the kids home from school, he was thoroughly ecstatic to see the kids home. We have only had him the weekend so this was such a bonus to see from him.
Last night something set him off. I don't know what it was but he came and stood over me, barking and snarling at the window. My windows have curtains over them so you can only see a peek around the edges. My other dogs didn't alert me to anything.

Here he is trying very hard to get to the tennis balls.

Dec13010.jpg

And playing with my 7 month old German Shepherd pup. lol They always look fierce playing.

Dec13017.jpg

Now I would love to get my husband a Standard Dachshund for blood tracking. There are several breeders I have my eye on who actually work the dogs. Their lines are not overly bred so they are not so short and long in the body.

I had a yorkie once that was an amazing mouser!

Last edited:
"They retrieve, flush, track and play with the kids."

WPG's are great dogs, but they are supposed to point, not flush.

Looks like a handsome boy, have fun with him!

I used to use english pointers. I loved them but they are a little too hot for me. They only wanted to hunt and forgot they were Dogs. For the last 10 years or so I have used ONLY german shorthaired pointers. I couldn't be happier, they are upland dogs, water dogs, and House dogs....
20580_001.jpg

casey and belle, being house dogs, relaxing on the daughter's bed.

Last edited:
We have a rescued Lab Border Collie mix that we are planning to train to find shed antlers and then possibly some other things like morel mushrooms. He is such a great dog. He has the intelligence of the border collie so he listens and catches on really quick and then he has a great nose and loves to retrieve. We think he might have some other breeds in him as well because he recently started pointing at everything that excites him..... He was found abandoned outside tied to a tree in the middle of the woods with his mother and siblings. So we can only guess what breeds he is but he loves to do anything that involves smelling and finding things.

IMGP2754.jpg

Back
Top Bottom