What I am learning about feather picking and cannibalism

Quote:
I saw this in another thread and thought it was a great idea for bored hens. Thought I'd share it here. I'm going to give it a try also.

Editted to add: BOSS - black oil sunflower seeds

Last edited:
This thread has been a lifesaver!
smile.png
I have some barred rocks and some white plymouths and they began the pecking around each others "hineys" a couple of weeks ago. We couldn't figure out how to cure the problem but I found this website and you can't imagine how relieved we were to find so much on this topic!
On the way home from work today, I will be picking up the hot pick spray, Avia 2000, flock blocks and some purina layer crumbles.
They already had a pretty good diet, (scratch and layer pellets) supplimented by lettuces, green weeds, alfalfa and stale breads.
Again, thank you, thank you , thank you!

Hi toyahansen - and first of all,
welcome-byc.gif

I'm glad you found this thread helpful. Hopefully, since this began only a couple of weeks ago, you'll be able to nip it in the bud now. I still occasionally have problems with the feather picking, and it is only if it is extremely cold or snowy and the chickens refuse to leave the coop. I now sprinkle black oil sunflower seeds, hide veggies, etc. in the coop when they decide to spend the day in there and it helps.

Best of luck!
Penny

They seem to be getting better, we separated out the barrd rocks and roosterboosted them as well. The egg laying is down by 1/3 though. Will it come back up? Our weather has been in the 60's and today it's 79 sunny degrees. We are in the desert and it wasn't that cold this winter.

Last edited:
I've found this thread very helpful. This has been an extreme problem in my mixed flock.

I have four adults - GLW, Australorp, BR, and a BSL. Then I have 6 5 month olds - a Sussex, 2 cochins, a Black Langshan, a EE, and a faverolle.

I used to have 7 adults. I got rid of 3 because I thought they were the culprits. I had 8 babies, but two hav been eaten alive.

They always peck them on their rump/tailfeather/vent area. The picking had stoped, but I now believe my BSL instigated the death of my baby EE. She is leaving for a new home.

I try to give them something to do - hang cabbage or grass from the run, sprinkle corn out, anything. And I do give them time to free-range in the afternoon. We cant all day, because most of the time no-one is here.

Thanks so much for sharing this with everyone, it sure has helped me.

ChickenWisperer - I'm really happy this thread has helped you. I started it because I understand the frustration this issue can cause. While I'm convinced boredom is the chief cause, I don't think it's the only one. Higher protein levels really seem to help as well. And I do think some chickens are just prone to have that tendency. If you can isolate the instigator and the feather picking/cannibalism stops - well, you have found the culprit. It sounds like you figured yours out. I'm really glad.

toyahansen - the separation can cause stress in your flock. Not only to the ones you separated, but the others as well. Stress can upset their laying. Once things settle down, I imagine they'll be back to "normal" laying for you.

Penny

I had a the same kind of stuff happen too with my roo. I noticed they would preen him etc as a youngster and then as he grew up they started to pick at his beautiful long tail feathers( EE roo) and he didn't stop them. They would bleed. I too noticed this happening when weather had been bad- 2 weeks of rain. I increased the protein by adding BOSS as supplemental treats/high protein grain ( wheat berry), egg, cheese etc when available and limiting scratch & leftovers that were in excess carb fillers ( corn, rice, pastas, breads). I ended up having to separate my roo to a pen close by. I didn't want to go the pine tar/other stuff route. Also because I was worried laying hens would ingest it.( my own personal thing) Anyway, waiting still for all his feathers to be completely back to normal before he goes back. In the mean time he does get many girlfriends to stop by and hang out for a couple hrs. ( ones that aren't the culprit). I think it also depends on the rooster too- he is not the nicest roo to the girls as far as being gentle etc but somehow he let them pick on him. I have another Brahma roo in with the girls now and they don't pick at him-1) he is bigger 2) his tail feathers aren't so long 3)he doesn't allow it? Well there's my story.

Wow so much info, this has been a great post, I have had chickens for several years. But this is the first year in my new house and because of the neighbors and dogs in the area I canot free range. Ive never had any problems with my chicks in the past but this year with the crazy Indiana weather and keeping them cooped up, it has not helped. I have probably 4 birds with very little feathers. and out of 28 hens maybe only 3 of them have there feathers around there vent. I have dusted them, wormed them, changed there feed,I have noticed a few picking but not enough to worry about. I even called our local purdue extention office and talked to there vet. He pretty much suggested more protien. Then I read this thread. I sit out there for an hour this evening. Lets just say there is a whole lot of picking going on. I am going to try all of your suggestions and hopefully I can get it under control, but I have some pretty naked chickens. Thank you all for your help.

I do have a Question see if any of ya know? Some of these hens were my kids 4-H birds I have pinned them up seperate. Does anyone know roughlly how long it takes for there feathers to grow back, (if I can keep them from picking them) ? Thanks again every body.

My vet told me to soak dryed cat food in a little milk or water for increased protien. I also make yogurt pretty cheep in my crock pot and it gives them protien and good bacteria.

I tryed hot pick and it did not work ! Tried vicks and it seemed to work. Of course I didn't put it on any open wounds.
I have also used axle greese and it has worked as well.

I hung old cd's from the top of the run just above there head height and seemed to get their interest.
I have a brake drum in the run and I keep it filled with a mixture of sand,ash from woodstove,and DE. The girls love to bathe in there and lots of times more than one at a time.

I also find that if I hang red apples for them to peck it interests them.

Back
Top Bottom