• Hen

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Roo

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

rainybabe82

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2017
The only surviving one of my first batch of chicks has started crowing but I have really thought prior to now that she was a hen. She/he is 4 months (got them march 17th from tsc) and when we got our second set of chicks she mothered them letting them sleep under her and taking care of them. So maybe you can tell me for sure hen or rooster?

Attachments

• IMG_0889.JPG
    IMG_0889.JPG
    928.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0890.JPG
    IMG_0890.JPG
    430.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0891.JPG
    IMG_0891.JPG
    432.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0892.JPG
    IMG_0892.JPG
    321.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0893.JPG
    IMG_0893.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 10
I too can't see well enough in the photos to decide. We are looking for signs of saddle feathers.

At 4 months (16 weeks), that should be a rooster with the comb shape and color and crowing, but the feathers and tail are not particularly rooster-ish. I do see a darker red pattern over the wings that gives me indication this is a rooster.

It is very rare to have a hen that crows. Crowing hens are usually older (henopausal) alpha girls who have lost their female hormones as they age such that the androgens are out of balance promoting masculine deepening of their voice.

Male saddle feathers often don't appear until 5 to 6 months of age. So if you are really hearing crowing, it is far, far more likely you have a developing rooster who apparently is a very sweet guy....so sweet in fact, that if you can keep him, do. He'll make fine tempered babes. Good roosters will tend to younger chicks and lovingly watch over their girls. (My Barnevelder is such a one).

But give us a better photo. It would confirm what those feathers are doing.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom