1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What if an egg freezes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wizbop, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Wizbop

Wizbop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    I think my hubby brought in an egg this morning that was layed last night and probably froze overnight. We keep our eggs out on the counter. It got below freezing last night. Will I be able to tell anything different about this egg? Will it make us sick or be gross? I guess I should have tossed it.

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

THere's nothing wrong with a frozen egg as long as you thaw it before you cook it. You can freeze eggs in ice trays for later use.

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

If it froze the water inside would likely have cracked the egg, if no crack I would guess (I'm a FL-ian) that there was no hard or compleate freeze of the egg-

Speaking of which I need to run water to protect my pipes tonight.

4. KBChicks

KBChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    PA
    I let mine thaw in the fridge before cooking them .. no difference in taste as far as I can tell

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I've eaten many a frozen, cracked egg and I'm still around to tell the tale. I keep my nesting boxes very clean for this reason. If the egg is uncracked I wouldn't think twice about eating it. If it's cracked and clean I generally use it the same day. If it's cracked and dirty the dogs (or chickens) get a treat. If the egg was completely frozen the yolk won't hold itself separate from the white, but other than that you'll never notice the difference.

6. Wizbop

Wizbop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks, this helps. I've seen no cracks to speak of. You guys rock and always hook me up w/ answers.

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Ditto.

8. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    We have had -20 here yhis winter, so I know our egss were frozen. We always keep the eggs in a basket for a day or so, if it is froze it has time to thaw before going in to the fridge. We are also still among the living. No worries

9. Buns

Buns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    How cold can an egg get and still be viable for hatching purposes?

10. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yea, but look what it did t' yer hair. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by