What if I get the wrong side up?

KYTinpusher

Master Enabler
8 Years
Sep 3, 2011
Northern KY
I just received 12 BCM eggs in the mail today. They all arrived safely and are resting, but with about half of them, I can't tell which side is the large end. I tried candling some, but it was inconclusive. Any suggestions?

Would it help if you traced the outline of the egg on paper? Maybe you could tell better that way?
idunno.gif

Tracing didn't help. But here is a picture. The arrow shows which way is up as they are resting now. Do you think I have guessed wrong on any of them?

105574_img_0930.jpg

Quote:
Everything looks okay except your last egg on the right where you only have 2 eggs, it's got the pointy end up in my opinion! Point it down if your using a turner. If I'm hand turning I always put the pointy ends down on the wire towards the front of the bator. Dark eggs are hard to candle you will be fine. Give them a week or 10 days and you should be able to see the air sacs at the top of the eggs when you candle. Very dark room and take your time.

When your resting eggs put them in an egg carton so the air sac will go back to the tops if they have been shipped and bounced around. I always rest mine 6 to 8 hours if I have received them in the mornings mail.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you! That's the one I almost switched. (I switched it now) They have been resting since this morning and I'll be putting them in the incubator tonight with the Swedish Flower Hen eggs (also received this morning) and Barred Rock eggs (our own).

This is our first attempt at hatching and I am praying all goes well.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

GOOD LUCK!!!! If you turned that one egg, I think all looks great! I hope all goes well with hatching! It must be really exciting hatching for your first time!!

Back
Top Bottom