what if I got a rooster and my eggs where fertilized?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pgras123, Nov 24, 2008.

1. pgras123

pgras123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Greenfield Indiana
    This might seem like a stupid question - If I did get a rooster and we continued to eat our eggs like we do - would they all have a little red in them?

That would certainly freak my wife out and she wouldn't want to eat them and to be honest with you I would rather not have that either - but then again all the cool things I read about having a rooster - I kind of really want one, we live in the country and could pull it off - and my dad says the ladies would be happier if they had a man around.[​IMG] I look foward to the responses on this one.[​IMG]
  2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    It wouldn't be red it would have a white round dot in the yolk. I have a roo and I still eat my eggs.
  3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

the difference from a infertile, and fertile egg,, is 1 cell [​IMG]
    you'd have to look hard to see a difference [​IMG]
  4. glassparman

glassparman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    As long as they are not givin a chance to develop, the eggs are just the same in taste and looks to the naked eye.

Actually, I've always been told that a fertile egg is better for you.

I have roosters around to keep my hens in line and I have never noticed a difference and I sell my extra eggs as well.

5. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    You will be able to eat them (extra protein:)). They won't show red, but it really depends on the stage of the egg.
  6. pgras123

pgras123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Greenfield Indiana
    ok i have learned alot. thanks. not a big deal i can see, and yes I heard they were better for you to. now I have to research roosters! It will be a fun thing to research this winter. thanks.
  7. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

As long as you collect them everyday, you'll be fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by