What if my geese can nibble leaves of eggplant plants through the chicken wire garden fence?

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
I wonder if once they taste it, they would leave it alone? And they can’t get very much through the chicken wire fence but if it’s extremely toxic, I can try to put a divider pieces of plastic or a sheet in between the egg plants and the fence. How toxic is it?

@Jenbirdee I just did a little research and Geese (as well as chickens and ducks) can eat the eggplant it self, but because eggplant is a member of the nightshade plant family, they cannot eat the leaves. Interesting, so kinda like tomato.

@Jenbirdee I just did a little research and Geese (as well as chickens and ducks) can eat the eggplant it self, but because eggplant is a member of the nightshade plant family, they cannot eat the leaves. Interesting, so kinda like tomato.
Thank you! I’ve always been very careful about where I plant my tomatoes in the garden so if there’s no chance of ducks or geese or chickens now getting to them, but I wasn’t sure about eggplants so now we know…

I wonder if once they taste it, they would leave it alone? And they can’t get very much through the chicken wire fence but if it’s extremely toxic, I can try to put a divider pieces of plastic or a sheet in between the egg plants and the fence. How toxic is it?
I was amazed when I found out tall fescue grass is toxic to geese. Open Sanctuary has a really intense list of toxic items. for geese. I didnt know it but eggplant is in the same family as tomatos
This is what they said.
Green Potatoes: Green potatoes, particularly the skins and “eyes”, contain solanine (as do any green bits from peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant, which are in the same family), which can be poisonous to geese.
Thank you I learned something new today
Here is the link
https://opensanctuary.org/things-that-are-toxic-to-geese/

Back
Top Bottom