What if only one egg has hatched...

coupelesschics

Chirping
Aug 30, 2020
Hi!!! Today is hatching day and one hatched yesterday. I'm just wondering if my temp is off will it affect hatched chick? I have 3 themometers in the incubator then it has a digital built in themometer hygrometer. They all have different readings and idk what to do. The remaining eggs haven't pipped that I can see. One reads 99, one reads 100 68rh, one reads 98 74rh and the internal is way off at 103 67rh. What would you do? Worried about chick and unhatched eggs. Not going to use this incubator again!!

With so many instruments giving you different readings its hard to say which is true and reliable. At this point, i think i would give it one more day. It is common for multiple chicks to hatch over 36-48hr period.
I usually remove the early hatchers after 24hrs and provide them with food water and heat. During that time their chirping is encouragement for the unhatched birds to get a move on.

Keep in mind that opening the incubator will cause heat loss but most importantly the humidity can drop. So be sure it has adequate water to restore proper levels asap

With so many instruments giving you different readings its hard to say which is true and reliable. At this point, i think i would give it one more day. It is common for multiple chicks to hatch over 36-48hr period.
I usually remove the early hatchers after 24hrs and provide them with food water and heat. During that time their chirping is encouragement for the unhatched birds to get a move on.

Keep in mind that opening the incubator will cause heat loss but most importantly the humidity can drop. So be sure it has adequate water to restore proper levels asap
Thanks for the advice!! The baby chick has not completely dried yet and it just got 24 hrs since he hatched. I am nervous about opening it up since it looks like they will be late hatchers, if they hatch. I tried a dry hatch this batch hoping for my hatch rate to increase. I'm not liking this incubator either. Ugh! I will do everything you recommended. Thank you so much for your reply😁

Not all chicks will hatch on day 21, some will hatch days later.
How many eggs did you incubate?
Do you know your fertility percentage or did you candle the eggs to see how many were developing before lockdown?

sounds like you have things under control and did well checking temps with an additional sensors. I would always trust a sensor around the eggs over the inbuilt sensor. It doesn't necessarily mean the inbuilt sensor is wrong, it might just be where the sensor is placed, the most important aspect is that it can steadily maintain whatever temperature you set it to - which you have rightly been checking with additional sensors. Sensors have in the past been pretty unreliable, often off by a few % but what is worse is that some sensors are only reliable in a certain range, ie 40-60% so once humidity goes to 60% it could be 70,80,90% - you will not get an accurate reading.
There will always be variations in incubators also. Mine is 37.3 on one side and 37.6C on the other side. I try to get it as even as I can but that is the best I can do.

I am trying out the govee thermometer and so far I am very happy with the results. It is far more sensitive than previous sensors I've had which also makes a big difference so I'd recommend the govee thermometer for taking some of the guesswork out of things.

sounds like you have things under control and did well checking temps with an additional sensors. I would always trust a sensor around the eggs over the inbuilt sensor. It doesn't necessarily mean the inbuilt sensor is wrong, it might just be where the sensor is placed, the most important aspect is that it can steadily maintain whatever temperature you set it to - which you have rightly been checking with additional sensors. Sensors have in the past been pretty unreliable, often off by a few % but what is worse is that some sensors are only reliable in a certain range, ie 40-60% so once humidity goes to 60% it could be 70,80,90% - you will not get an accurate reading.
There will always be variations in incubators also. Mine is 37.3 on one side and 37.6C on the other side. I try to get it as even as I can but that is the best I can do.

I am trying out the govee thermometer and so far I am very happy with the results. It is far more sensitive than previous sensors I've had which also makes a big difference so I'd recommend the govee thermometer for taking some of the guesswork out of things.
Thanks, I will definitely be looking into the govee.bim just worried bc it's 2 days after hatch date and the ones left aren't doing anything. One hatched yesterday morning but the others have slight movement but no pipping. I just upd the humidity a little, hoping that helps

Back
Top Bottom