1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What if only one hatches?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SusanJoM, May 25, 2008.

1. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe this should go in "raising chicks"???? but it seems to be an in-betweener sort of question, and this is where my head is, so I'll put it here.

I just took the turner out of the incubator and don't know how many of the 10 (if any, of course) are going to make it.

I have never brooded less than 6 or so chicks together. (I've always bought them at the feed store before.) So, I'm thinking that if only 1 or even 2 hatch, do you think I should go to the feed store and get a couple of other young'uns so that they have companions for snuggling and being kids together? Seems like being an only chick would be a complete drag and probably not conducive to hanging in there.....?

Advice?

Thanks as usual
    Susan

2. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    I dont really know much of the do's and dont's that the others here know, but the first chicken I ever had was all alone, a lady gave me the egg that was hatcing and I put it under a lamp to finish coming out. He lived in a rubbermaid in my bedroom and he was one of the tamest chickens Ive ever had. He did peep a lot..and LOUD if you werent in sight though.

3. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    I would say two are fine , I had two that were happy and then I had one on it's own it did cheep alot but after one week I put it with my two week olds which I felt was kinder for it. One alone I think is lonley but if there are at least two don't worry [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  4. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a loner once, long story short, it didnt work out. I would suggest ATLEAST two chicks to keep eachother company.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by