What if only one hatches?

SusanJoM

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Santa Rosa, California
Maybe this should go in "raising chicks"???? but it seems to be an in-betweener sort of question, and this is where my head is, so I'll put it here.

I just took the turner out of the incubator and don't know how many of the 10 (if any, of course) are going to make it.

I have never brooded less than 6 or so chicks together. (I've always bought them at the feed store before.) So, I'm thinking that if only 1 or even 2 hatch, do you think I should go to the feed store and get a couple of other young'uns so that they have companions for snuggling and being kids together? Seems like being an only chick would be a complete drag and probably not conducive to hanging in there.....?

Advice?

Thanks as usual
Susan

I dont really know much of the do's and dont's that the others here know, but the first chicken I ever had was all alone, a lady gave me the egg that was hatcing and I put it under a lamp to finish coming out. He lived in a rubbermaid in my bedroom and he was one of the tamest chickens Ive ever had. He did peep a lot..and LOUD if you werent in sight though.

I would say two are fine , I had two that were happy and then I had one on it's own it did cheep alot but after one week I put it with my two week olds which I felt was kinder for it. One alone I think is lonley but if there are at least two don't worry
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom