what if we are going out in the evening?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by yesfantina, Jul 1, 2011.

1. yesfantina

yesfantina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Ok, our 8 week old babies are FINALLY outside in the prefab coop/run now all the time. Last night was their second night outside and everything is going fine (phew!) At dusk (around 8pm) we are dutifully locking them into the coop. We have plans to go out Tuesday night for dinner and a show. We will probably leave around 5 and get back after 1 am. So what about the chickens???!!! Do we lock them up at 5 before we go? Or do we lock them up when we get home at 1 am? Thoughts?

-Tina

2. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Is your run secure? If so you can just come home and shut the coop door. That's what we do. Our girls go to bed and the run is secure so it's no biggie if the door is open late.

3. tennesseeckn

tennesseeckn Real or not real?

Jul 11, 2010
    Knoxville Area
    I would lock them up early as long as your coop has enough ventilation to stay cool and it's large enough for all of the birds. I've heard that predators are most active at dawn and dusk. If you have a prefab coop, is the run predator proof? If it is, then I wouldn't worry about locking them up before I left.

4. ajay

ajay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    If they don't know how to go in the coop by themselves, I would put them in earlier rather than later. They might get stressed out having it be dark and not knowing where to sleep.

5. yesfantina

yesfantina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    I dont' think it (the run) is predator-proof enough. It's resting on sand right now, and anything could burrow into it fairly easilly. The coop is secure tho

6. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you should definitely lock them up before you go. They'll be fine going in the coop early. ❤ Enjoy your dinner out!! [​IMG]
    ~Kelly~

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Date night? nice....if they aren't familiar with going in by themselves, and the run is not secure, lock them up early, other wise you will worry all night, about...chickens!

8. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Tell them its a school night and they have to go to bed early! An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure,isnt that what they say? Whoever "they" are and what makes them experts.

9. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    If you want to enjoy your night and not be wondering what your chickens are doing, definatly put them to bed early!!

10. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Quote:x2

I am a HUGE worry-wart, and I would be constantly thinking about them, worried whether or not they put themselves to bed, did something get into the run, etc. I think you will be able to relax and enjoy yourself more knowing all your babies are safe and sound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by