What iis the purpose of the actual crow?

wbruder17

Songster
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Portland, OR
I get the chuck chuck "Here! I have something to eat!" And the brrraaaawwwwk! Of "I don't like that.....something's up!" And the brrrrk brrrk " here's a good place to nest!" But I just don't get the cockle doodle doooo! In the morning, ok, maybe that's the "time to get up girls!"....but all day? I have a banty whose crow is cute as can be....but I mean, he does it a few times before he takes a nap, or he will go in the coop during the day and yell...or I mean, he will crow whenever, so I juust want to know the meaning of the cockle doodle doo. I can translate the others.

Ha! Yea, they WOULD have to annouunce that all day long! Especially a banty in a flock of big girls...when half of them couldn't care less about him and actually beat him up sometimes.

Keep it comiin! Translate the cockle doodle dooooos! For me!

"I am ROOSTER! Hear my crow!" I'm guessing BrattishTaz's response is for the flock with a single rooster. My flock has many roosters, so I interpret crowing as follows:

It's a warning to others he can kick [anybody's] butt any time, or a general announcement of This Flock Is Protected.

It is just to annoy the next door neighbors, or any real city person.
gig.gif

Greyes..haha. it COULD mean the flock is protected, if Feisty wasn't such a lazy bird. Not the best rooster I've seen. He naps more than anything, really. Doesn't leave the coop til 7 or 8 in the morning and the first to bed at night! However, he does get his share of lovin...mostly stolen. I didn't know how well he was romancing the ladies til I set 9 of his eggs. I wasn't counting on a 100% hatch rate, but he's apparently the Don Juan of Banties...considering 7 of the eggs were from full sized EEs and he's a D'Uccle.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
Neighbours had one. He would crow at all hours of the morning
lol.png
But had a real quiet little voice so we could barely hear him, so cute!

My translation? "This is MY land and you know it!"

I lied a bit....he DOES break up tiffs between his ladies. The Silkie Sisters were going at it and he broke them up....probably because they were disturbing his nap, but still...he did it.

I'm going to start singing to him... "this land is My land....it isn't your land. I've got some spurs, and you ain't got none! If you don't get out, I'll spur your legs out....this coop is made for only meeeeeeee". To the tune of Woody Guthrie.

Back
Top Bottom