What illness does my hen have? Stool picture included

Madrock

Chirping
Jun 15, 2020
Hi everyone,

Long story short, I had rehomed one of my younger Orpingtons by mistake, realized my mistake, got her back, but only to find she had gotten sick during one of the 4 days she was away. During those days she was away from me, we had a big storm come through that dropped the temps quite a bit.

Her symptoms include: lethargy, watery stools, flopped comb, gurgling sounds, sneezing, and clogged nostrils. I feared it was a respiratory infection and immediately started her on a regiment of Tylan 200 two times a day for 5 day, VetRX multiple times a day on her nostrils and under her wings, and Denagard in her water. At first, she refused to drink and just sat on a roosting bar. She looked like she wasn’t going to make it until I had to force her to drink from a dropper.

She has made tremendous strides in getting better since that initial scare. She still gets clogged nostrils in the evening time when the temps drop, and she sneezes occasionally. I have not seen improvement in her stools though. Could this be something different from a respiratory infection? I’m already beating myself up for putting her into this position. I hope it is something she can recover from.

Edited to note she does not have any discharge from her eyes. She does have a reduced appetite.

7D2610C7-EDE8-44AD-8EB8-37B6B84B1626.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi! Would you mind sending a picture of the pullet? Make sure she drinks lots of water, but dont force her to have much food, just enpugh for her to be alright of course, try giving her some electrolytes. Sorry this wasnt much help, i wish the best for her! :(

Hi! Would you mind sending a picture of the pullet? Make sure she drinks lots of water, but dont force her to have much food, just enpugh for her to be alright of course, try giving her some electrolytes. Sorry this wasnt much help, i wish the best for her! :(
I’ll get a picture of her in the morning.

Hey - I've literally just posted about coccidiosis and how we didn't spot it until really late, b/c I didn't realise goopy green poop is a sign (and not just bloody poop). Hers looked just like your girl's, and being you d and having moved around she could have been exposed to a new strain.

It wouldnt account for the respiratory symptoms, but it might be a good plan to get a fecal float done at a vet ASAP (ask for coccidiosis check specifically), or check under a microscope yourself if you have one - you don't need a very high magnification, and there are tutorials on BYC.

Hey - I've literally just posted about coccidiosis and how we didn't spot it until really late, b/c I didn't realise goopy green poop is a sign (and not just bloody poop). Hers looked just like your girl's, and being you d and having moved around she could have been exposed to a new strain.

It wouldnt account for the respiratory symptoms, but it might be a good plan to get a fecal float done at a vet ASAP (ask for coccidiosis check specifically), or check under a microscope yourself if you have one - you don't need a very high magnification, and there are tutorials on BYC.
Thank you! I was second guessing my treatments for her and wonder if she did have coccidiosis.

Just had another look at the respiratory section of my vet book, and it mentions that infectious bronchitis can cause wet droppings 'after recovery from the respiratory phase'. It tends to be milder in older birds (over 6 weeks) and the clinical signs may even be absent.

If that is it, you're doing the right thing (actually for just about all the respiratory diseases) - keep her separate from the flock, practice good hygiene in case it is infectious, control any secondary infection, and keep her warm and fed! Would still suggests checking for cocci though - if she's been with a new flock, she could easily have picked up more than one thing!

Here is a before and after, which are about a week apart.View attachment 2844737View attachment 2844738
Aw, shes a pretty girl. I was worried she had wry neck for a moment, but i highly doubt it (i did before to, the symptoms didnt seem like wry all that much) you should take her to a vet, and give her some electrolytes. Im not amazing with this sorta thing so I apologize i dont have much info, i wish her lots of luck! :)

Just had another look at the respiratory section of my vet book, and it mentions that infectious bronchitis can cause wet droppings 'after recovery from the respiratory phase'. It tends to be milder in older birds (over 6 weeks) and the clinical signs may even be absent.

If that is it, you're doing the right thing (actually for just about all the respiratory diseases) - keep her separate from the flock, practice good hygiene in case it is infectious, control any secondary infection, and keep her warm and fed! Would still suggests checking for cocci though - if she's been with a new flock, she could easily have picked up more than one thing!
I agree! That sounds very helpful :)

Back
Top Bottom