What in the world is this?

Audry

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 24, 2009
I found a really bizarre lump of... something... fleshy (?) in the coop this morning. I put it in a plastic container and when my husband got home from work he cut it in half. It actually just kind of broke in half very easily with the sharp edge of a small piece of wood, almost like a lump of play-doh. He thinks it's some kind of tumor. It's about 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" across. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? One of the chickens that used to be a great layer hasn't laid an egg since she molted last winter, and this thing was in the general location where she usually sleeps. Now she's in the coop, up on the roost and rocking forward twitching her tail every 5 seconds or so.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

blob1.jpg

blob2.jpg

I've seen lots of posts about this.

Either it is an internally laid egg (or two or three), or, something worse. . . .

You're glad the bird didn't die.

NASTY!!! I've seen posts on here about hens occasionally "laying" out part of their reproductive tract or ovaries, they typically are fine after that but don't lay anymore. What kind of hens do you have? The ones typically affected seem to be the hybrid high-production layers, kinda like a side effect of over-producing.

I am glad she didn't die, but I'm concerned because she is acting really weird. If anyone has any ideas what to do for her, I would be grateful. Otherwise I guess I'll just watch and see.

Quote:
I have all different breeds, but this one is a Rhode Island Red. She hasn't been laying (at least outside her body!) for months, so I guess if she continues not to we won't be any worse off. Before her first molt, she was our best layer.

Quote:
one of them (Cordelia) is acting strange. Sitting on a roost in the coop even though it's not dark yet and none of the others have gone in yet, and twitching oddly.

Maybe you should seperate her and put her in a cage, that way she can rest her insides! and not be bothered with the other chickens, hope she is ok? Is she still acting weird??

Back
Top Bottom