What in the world is this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Audry, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Audry

Audry In the Brooder

Oct 24, 2009
    Well, based on the suggestions that it's a bunch of undeveloped eggs or part of her reproductive system I was able to find a few other threads dealing with the same thing. Apparently it's unlikely to have done any lasting damage, so I'll stop worrying. Thanks for the help!

2. Xenia's Chickens

Xenia's Chickens In the Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    Looks like "mummified" retained eggs. I would check the hen for a prolapsed oviduct. It must have taken a lot of straining to pass that thing!

3. Audry

Audry In the Brooder

Oct 24, 2009
    She's still doing the weird twitchy thing and making a soft moaning sound each time she does it, but she's settled in and nobody's bothering her so I think I'll just keep an eye on her. They tend to spaz out a little when they go in the cage and I don't want to upset her if she's comfortable in the coop.

4. Audry

Audry In the Brooder

Oct 24, 2009
    Xenia's Chickens :

Looks like "mummified" retained eggs. I would check the hen for a prolapsed oviduct. It must have taken a lot of straining to pass that thing!

Would that be fairly obvious externally? There's not really anything for scale in the photo, but this is smaller than a regular egg.​

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: