What in the world? Where did you come from?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by WVchick71, May 17, 2011.

1. WVchick71

WVchick71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Small Town
    I heard this gawd awful noise out my bedroom window, so I went to investigate and THIS is what I found!

[​IMG]

Have no idea where it came from or what kind it is, but it sure is LOUD.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    That is a bird called a guinea. Yes, they are extremely loud, but excellent at eating ticks/grasshoppers/little frogs, etc. I don't know what to tell you to do with it, but good luck whatever you decide. What a beautiful bird!

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    It is beautiful.

4. WVchick71

WVchick71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Small Town
    He or she wont let me get too close. But did however enjoy some of the grain I threw down for it.

5. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    The color is Lavender. If it makes a 2 syllable call that sounds like "buck-wheat" or "come-back" it's a Hen. If all it does is scream CHI CHI CHI CHI at ya it might be a male (females do that too, but females are the only ones that have the 2 syllable call).

6. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    I would love to find one of these in my yard. My neighbor on the other hand...[​IMG] would kill me. I say feed it and have it join the crew if it wants to.

7. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I had a male pearl guinea show up in my yard 5 weeks ago & he's still here! I've been trying to find about 5-6 more to coop with my chickens for him, but have had no luck. He roosts on my bantam tractor. I am leery of putting him in with the chickens alone, as he seems to peck at the fence & I read having a lone male may make him aggressive toward chickens. Anyone know of any adults for sale in SE PA?? I throw him scratch and game bird feed daily and keep water out for him. He sure is fun to watch, but mostly just runs from one pen to the next & doesn't range around.

8. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Quote:His not ranging is a prime example of how important a flock is to Guineas.

I'm surprised you haven't been able to find him some companions since this is prime keet selling season.

9. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Quote:Maybe my monitor color is off but it looks like a regular pearl to me.

10. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Check Craigslist.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by