What in the world?!

I'm not sure how true it is, (I am testing it now) is the theory that more rounded eggs, (kinda oval shaped) will hatch hens and pointy ones will hatch roosters. When they hatch I will tell you how true the theory is

If I am not mistaken, it depends on which half the silkie was. Wether it was the roo or the hen.  @RavynFallen
 explained it to me, and now I can't remember exactly which way it went. I think it was if the silkie was the roo, then the pullets would have dark skin and the roos light.

:frow

Found out a bit more about that...

I've heard with silkie mixes... only the pullets will have dark skin and the cockerals will have light skin. If that is true... we only have 1 pullet out of 6. We hadn't planned on hatching any babies but a broody mama planned otherwise. Then we planned on eating the boys before we knew who the daddy was... but the babies are so tiny because they're half silkie... it would take two to make a pot of chicken and rice. Lol. I don't know what we're going to do if the majority end up roosters. Two roosters in my backyard is enough.

It's only specific combinations of Silkie mixes that are sex-linked... the roo has to be a pure Silkie and the hen needs to be a pure breed with either white or yellow skin... this does not work for hens that are Easter Eggers or Turkens as those are really a mix of breeds...
But from the right crosses, pullets have dark or black skin and cockerels have light or white skin... also, make sure you are looking at the skin itself and not dark muscle underneath...

I learn something new everyday! I didn't realize this potential with silkie mixes.

It's worked for all mine, but mine were double sex-linked as well... ;)

frow.gif

Found out a bit more about that...
It's only specific combinations of Silkie mixes that are sex-linked... the roo has to be a pure Silkie and the hen needs to be a pure breed with either white or yellow skin... this does not work for hens that are Easter Eggers or Turkens as those are really a mix of breeds...
But from the right crosses, pullets have dark or black skin and cockerels have light or white skin... also, make sure you are looking at the skin itself and not dark muscle underneath...
It's worked for all mine, but mine were double sex-linked as well...
wink.png
Thank you ma'am!!
bow.gif
and
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom