What incubator should I get from Brinsea?

incubator addict

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 6, 2012
Hello, I have decided I need another incubator. I am trying to decide between the octagon 20 advance, the Brinsea mini advance EX or the R-com mini.

Thanks,

Patrick
smile.png
big_smile.png

gryeyes

Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
My slice of heaven in Somerset, CA
Depends. Do you expect to incubate more than 7 eggs at a time?

I have two MiniAdvance EX units, one MiniAdvance, and three Octagon20 Advance EX units. If I have a lot of eggs, they go into the Octagons. If I have a small number of eggs, they go into one or two of the Minis.

Sphinx

Crowing
10 Years
May 10, 2010
Utah
I've been very pleased with my mini advance. The biggest down side is that it only holds 7 eggs. On the up side, it only holds 7 eggs, so it keeps your chicken math under control.

Creed Bennett

Songster
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
Western Kentucky
I have the Mini Advance and love it. The only problem I have is when I'm looking for hatching eggs in the classified section I find eggs that I would like but there are too many for my little incubator. I fixed that problem Saturday night by ordering a Octagon 20 ECO and a auto turner.

Gypsy07

Songster
9 Years
Feb 4, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I wouldn't consider the RCom mini. It only holds 3 eggs, right? Hardly seems worth it to me...

If I were you, I think I'd go for the Octagon Advance. Then when you've got the money, you can upgrade it by buying the humidity pump to add on to it. I mean, you can always incubate just 7 eggs in an Octagon if you're only wanting to hatch a small amount of chicks, but if you end up wanting more you couldn't ever stuff 20 eggs into a Mini, now could you?

ChickieBooBoo

Cold Canadian Chick
10 Years
Dec 2, 2009
Canada
Quote:
x2 about the RCom mini, you'll be lucky to get 1-2 chicks from three eggs. Hardly enough to raise by themselves.

sixpugs

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Quote:
Have you ever set bantam eggs in your Octagon 20 Advance? How many were you able to fit in there? I know it says 24 chicken eggs, so I was guessing in the vicinity of 30 Bantam?
Do you just remove the turner trays for lockdown or what? Are they easy to clean? I've been looking at everything I can find on various incubators and unless I find a used Sportsman, that is a decent price,
I need to find another quality option.

Top Bottom