1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

What incubator should I get from Brinsea?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by incubator addict, Jan 8, 2012.

1. incubator addict

incubator addict In the Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    Hello, I have decided I need another incubator. I am trying to decide between the octagon 20 advance, the Brinsea mini advance EX or the R-com mini.

Thanks,

Patrick [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Depends. Do you expect to incubate more than 7 eggs at a time?

I have two MiniAdvance EX units, one MiniAdvance, and three Octagon20 Advance EX units. If I have a lot of eggs, they go into the Octagons. If I have a small number of eggs, they go into one or two of the Minis.

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Songster

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I've been very pleased with my mini advance. The biggest down side is that it only holds 7 eggs. On the up side, it only holds 7 eggs, so it keeps your chicken math under control.

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Depends how many eggs you want to incubate.

5. Creed Bennett

Creed Bennett Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    I have the Mini Advance and love it. The only problem I have is when I'm looking for hatching eggs in the classified section I find eggs that I would like but there are too many for my little incubator. I fixed that problem Saturday night by ordering a Octagon 20 ECO and a auto turner.

6. cubalaya

cubalaya Crowing

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    we have an eco 20 but are considering adding the mini advanced.

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Songster

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I wouldn't consider the RCom mini. It only holds 3 eggs, right? Hardly seems worth it to me...

If I were you, I think I'd go for the Octagon Advance. Then when you've got the money, you can upgrade it by buying the humidity pump to add on to it. I mean, you can always incubate just 7 eggs in an Octagon if you're only wanting to hatch a small amount of chicks, but if you end up wanting more you couldn't ever stuff 20 eggs into a Mini, now could you?

8. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:x2 about the RCom mini, you'll be lucky to get 1-2 chicks from three eggs. Hardly enough to raise by themselves.

9. Sphinx

Sphinx Songster

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:Great thinking. If I were to do it again, I think I would go with the Octagon Advance.

10. sixpugs

sixpugs In the Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Quote:Have you ever set bantam eggs in your Octagon 20 Advance? How many were you able to fit in there? I know it says 24 chicken eggs, so I was guessing in the vicinity of 30 Bantam?
    Do you just remove the turner trays for lockdown or what? Are they easy to clean? I've been looking at everything I can find on various incubators and unless I find a used Sportsman, that is a decent price,
    I need to find another quality option.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by