1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What incubators are you all using?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brooster, Jun 20, 2007.

1. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I was just wondering what incubators you are all using, and how they work.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  3. Chickenlover88

Chickenlover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    I'm using a hova bator and it works extremely well. Almost all the eggs I put in there are developing and should hatch soon. It is a simple fanless one with windows on top. It holds temp pretty well too.

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Little Giant 9200 with forced air fan and auto turner. I've done 2 hatches, first time I hatched 9 out of 10 set. Second time 6 out of 7 hatched. I'm sure the ones that didn't hatch were not due to the incubator. It was very easy to use, I'm glad I bought it!

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    1 brinsea ova-easy 380
    1 hova with turner and fan and 1 LG still air with turner when I run out of room in the ova or just plan on doing a test hatch.

6. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:How did you ever get the temperature adjusted???? I have the same exact bator, (without the fan) but I can't seem to get the right temp, it fluctuates too much....any suggestions??

7. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    im using the one I made with my son. Redneck had this awesome idea which I copied. I set 11 silkie eggs last night.

8. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

The room you have the bator in will make a lot of difference. I had to move it a couple of times until I found a spot that stayed stable temp wise.

Also let the temp stabilize for 6 hours before adjusting it. It just takes the tiniest fraction of a movement of the stick thing to adjust several degrees.

One last thing I did with the last hatch was putting a dozen ceramic eggs in there. They tend to help keep things stable.

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I just got the styrafoam kind with the 2 little windows. No fan or turner. I turn them myself and last night i candled them. It was7-9 days and one of my dark green ones had movement in it. To those of you who were having trouble with the dark green eggs........I could see really good. I used a big flashlight, one of those new brighter kind......and my hand. I think it makes a difference to do it at night when it very dark because i could see it good. I was so excited because this was my first ever attempt and i must be doing something right. So i guess you dont need the big fancy incubator.....unless you got alot of money and just want it.

10. ann

ann Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2007
    ava,missouri
    I have the little giant one with a turner.I have had good luck with it.I found one of those round metal ones at a yard sale today and told it worked,but don`t know,haven`t tried it yet.Does anybody out there know how to adjust the temp or how I can make a turner for this round one?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by