what ink do hatcheries use to mark their chicks?

hoppy

I'm not all fluff
12 Years
May 5, 2007
central maine
does any one know what kind of ink the hatcheries use to mark their chicks? I have gotten some with orange like ink that lasted a few weeks. I need to mark a few after they are sexed. if you know what they use, do you know where I can find some?

I do not know what they use, but I used a crayola washable marker to mark one of my poults. We got two and they looked identical and I need to tell which one was drinking and eating or if both were. It wore off in about a week.

I have used a sharpie but that doesn't last very long. I was thinking maybe tatoo ink? or cake food coloring paste but I want something bright to stand out.

I would just get colored zip ties and put a loose (notice i said loose) band on the legs. That is how i sex my babies when i can finally tell. Blue for boys and red for girls...they didnt have pink at the home depot and when i asked, the sales guy looked at me like i was nuts!
ep.gif
Thank god i didnt tell him it was for chickens!
tongue2.gif

i used wilton's paste food coloring to mark my leghorns. it had real staying power and lasted a few weeks. i just used a qtip and painted a strip down the center of their little heads....worked like a charm for me.........and comes in a gazillion colors too lol

Back
Top Bottom