1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is a bantam?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickenPollo, Sep 1, 2014.

1. ChickenPollo

ChickenPollo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    Madrid/Dubai
    Hi. I would just like to ask what a bantam is and what type of chickens they are. Are they different from others? Thanks!

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Bantams are different from other chickens because they're smaller. Bantams come in many breeds, many large breeds have a bantam version.

I'd recommend you get a book on chickens from the library, or just use Google a bit more, such questions are pretty easily answered this way.

Best wishes.

3. ChickenPollo

Aug 30, 2014
    Madrid/Dubai
    Thanks a lot for keeping me up to date. I just joined 2 days ago!

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Chooks are fascinating animals, aren't they? :)

A book would help you probably a lot more to start with though because a book isn't filled with conflicting opinions, lol! There's a lot of different experiences here which are true in the individuals' experience but which other individuals may disagree with because it wasn't true in their experience, which can make a heck of a confusing mish-mash for newbies trying to get a straight forward answer to a question.

Best wishes. Hope you enjoy the forum. Certainly lots to learn here.

5. ChickenPollo

Aug 30, 2014
    Madrid/Dubai
    I'll research about the topic. The forum is amazing. Thanks! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by