What IS a Frizzle?

LTygress

Songster
7 Years
Sep 12, 2012
I have seen these advertised on Craigslist recently. To me it looks like a cross between a normal feathered chicken, and a Silkie. Is the Frizzle an actual breed? I'm not finding much on them at the moment (and my forum search is acting up because of a java update rollback I had to do).

frizzle is basically what the name suggests

its a chicken with frizzy feathers

a mutation in genes that causes the feathers to twist out

yeah a good way to describe it is a silke crossed normal crossed a sebastapol

but in chicken form

Last edited:
Are they a recognized breed?
Frizzles aren't a breed.

It is a genetic mutation that causes the feathers on a bird to curl toward the head, instead of laying flat. It can happen to any breed, and can occur in any color plumage.

Frizzles such as, frizzled Japanese, frizzled Serama, or frizzled Cochin are recognized breeds.

Okay so they are a "created" form of every breed based on this mutated gene? Meaning, a frizzle can produce more frizzled chickens? Because an outcross pair (of the same genetic make-up) would create 25% purebred of each breed, and then 50% mixed breed. But I assume Frizzle creates 100% frizzle?

Okay so they are a "created" form of every breed based on this mutated gene? Meaning, a frizzle can produce more frizzled chickens? Because an outcross pair (of the same genetic make-up) would create 25% purebred of each breed, and then 50% mixed breed. But I assume Frizzle creates 100% frizzle?
I'm horrible at understanding genetics, but what I do know, is that when you breed two birds, with the frizzle gene, together, you'll get a double dose of frizzle and will get a bird that looks like this:

(Taken from BYC: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...zles-together-is-bad-nekkid-chicken-pics-eeek)
14075_100_3844.jpg

But by breeding a frizzled bird to a non-frizzled bird, will get you this offspring:

(Also taken from the same thread)
14075_100_3856.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, that sounds/looks more like the Araucana trait, where two dominant genes create a deadly deformity. I know Araucanas are usually crossed out to keep them "pure" because a double dose of the gene kills the offspring.

Does this sound about like what the Frizzle gene does?

Okay, that sounds/looks more like the Araucana trait, where two dominant genes create a deadly deformity. I know Araucanas are usually crossed out to keep them "pure" because a double dose of the gene kills the offspring.

Does this sound about like what the Frizzle gene does?
It does, but it isn't deadly (I don't think). It just creates brittle feathers that in some places on the bird, don't even grow.

Back
Top Bottom