What is a ga noi?

The birds in the ad are Ga Nois if I ever saw them. I spent almost a year in the jungles of Vietnam and raised one of these fellas in the pocket. I know a little about them.

While the information in the video is true, not all pure Ga Nois and Madagascars have naked necks. Some hatch feathered and remain that way throughout their lives.

Some really good videos of Madagascars:

Never assume that because importing is illegal it is not done. It is fairly routine for Vietnamese Americans to have relatives smuggle eggs in to the US through the USPS.

Here are a couple of my pure young Madagascars

014-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats excactly what meant maybe you didn't catch my flow i know they still do it, in the video i explain exactly what you said about Ga Noi not all being bald i never assumed anything, i know Ga Noi breed real well about the madagascar i didn't like the breed so i ate them not game enough im not an expert of madagascar but those two look alot like shamo pullets maybe you can elaborate on this breed.
hmm.png

Malgache will throw fully feathered birds. To my knowledge, all the 'real' (whatever that means) Malgache in America are related to an original trio that Craig Russell rec'd as a gift from a cocker in Georgia back more than 15 years ago now. My birds came directly from Craig who never added anything to them. I've never run across any Malgache in this country that were 'real' that I could not personally trace to Craig.

The females come black or blue while the males come black and black red. Some have a peacomb and some a cushion comb. The naked ones have no feather follicles. Some males have both huge wattles and a dewlap. Never had a female with wattles but all have a very large dewlap.

The naked zones tend to very some, but often they are nearly completely naked underneath as well as in the neck. I've never seen a Turken cross that produces this.

The birds are not Shamo like; they are Malay in type. They also tend to be 'crow-headed' with very long beaks. Those that have been crossed with Malays, Shamos or Asil tend to lose this trait.

Other breeders have added other breeds to increase the size of the bird; though mine are rather large being bred pure. I know that Orin Jones of KC added Malay to the mix.

Ga Don have feather follicles on there neck even when naked: not smooth skinned like a Malagache. Ga Don also appear more 'upright' to me. Malgache females are quite horizontal in the back.

I hope this helps. By the way, Ideal Poultry rec'd their Malgache from Orin. At least that is what I've been told.

I keep thinking of things to add. A couple of years back, Craig had a coon attack and I gave him back a pair of Malgache to replace the ones he had lost. The stag was smaller than he should have been but the hen was the correct size.

Cuda has never had either Ga Don or Malgache.

I also am working with Ga Cua.

Here are some pictures:

Malgache pullet
spurs1038.jpg

spurs1039.jpg

Malgache pullet
spurs1036.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I went back and looked and it was Saipan's I was thinking of..I dont know what I was thinking Malgache..

Chris

More

Malgache pullet
10aug2009chicken009.jpg

Malgache hen
morechickensaugust006.jpg

morechickensaugust004.jpg

Ga Cua stag
(6 months): The slow feathering is normal for the breed. When mature he will look very similar to a Cubalaya!
cubanoct023.jpg

Last edited:
By the way, when most people use the term Ga Noi they are talking about Ga Don. Ga Cua are a separate breed from Ga Don, but they are Ga Noi as well.

Last edited:
Quote:
I am no expert on the breed but I do know what I have and what I have seen. The heads on the pullets in the photo are nothing like a Shamo's, they are malayoid. They are only a couple of months old. Black and blue may be the predominant colors for Madagascars but they also can be wheaten, black, partridge, dark, cuckoo, red and white.

It is a misconception that any gamefowl coming into the US from a country where cockfighting is legal will be game. These birds do double-duty. Some pure lines remain in a family for decades without ever seeing the pit. There is also a lot of smuggling going on of eggs into the US. Not out of greed but to preserve lines that would ordinarily have become extinct. They must be passed on from one generation to the next.

BrIk90QBGkKGrHqQH-C4EvEkTV8mfBLyb7e.jpg

I should have said, as Paul did, that the Malagche come in various colors. What I should have said is that the ones that have come thru C. Russell are predominately black, black red or blue. I like that hen you've got posted at the bottom Paul. Those other two are beauties as well. I just discard all the fully feathered Malgache. I've found that about 1 in 5 is fully feathered.

Sleepy, that Ga Don cock bird is a beauty. I sure wish you'd have sent me that Malgache hen instead of eating her! What a beauty she was.

Brother Phil has raised some really nice Maglache in the last couple of years too.

Back
Top Bottom