What is a game hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NewcomerChicken, Feb 23, 2013.

1. NewcomerChicken

NewcomerChicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    I looked it up on google and it says "chicken bred for fighting and poultry." That isn't a breed though. I keep asking people what my hen is, and they keep calling her a game hen, but that's not an actual breed and could mean a lot of things. What is a game hen? Why won't people tell me an actual breed? [​IMG]

2. Newlove

Newlove Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    NSW Australia
    I'm no expert as I've just started with chickens but I assume when they say game hen they just mean a mix of game breeds.. Not one breed!

3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    There are many breeds of game hens / roosters. Have a look on the breed section on this site and see which one yours looks like. She might be a mix breed.

Game chickens were created for sport. They are still used for this in many countries, but now they are also kept for their beauty (many of the roosters are lovely colours).

4. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    the game means that they were originally bred to fight or breed fighters. they are now usually used for showing. if it is a game breed it may be either a mix of game types or a pure bred variety.

5. littleoak

littleoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Ashmore IL 61912
    Go to oakridge game farm. com and go to auction. You will see several breeds of game chickens. It's very hard to tell the breed of a certain hen by the photo. Most are referred to as American Game. There are also standard Old English Game chickens that have certain specific shape, comb, colors, and feathering. The American Games are not that specific but many are devided into different breed names.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by