What is a good All Purpose White Egg Layer?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kenshan1, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Kenshan1

Kenshan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    My husband was wanting an all purpose standard size white egg layer. He doesn't want a white feathered bird though like the leghorn. Something somewhat easy to come buy locally would be nice. I can only get 1 or 2. Let me know & I'll go research some more.

Shannon

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
  3. Kenshan1

Kenshan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    I don't mind that, we can eat the white eggs. I only want one bird. I already have 13 which are/will be laying dark brown to light brown & 2 birds might lay green/blue. I plan on rehoming a couple to make room for 2 breeds I do want.

Shannon

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Leghorns come in brown, also. The hens are smaller than most dual purpose breeds but they lay like machines! White eggs every day. Blue Andalusians also lay white eggs, I'm not sure how common they are in your area, but you could check with your feed store come spring and see if they could order a few for you.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd suggest Silver Spangled Hamburgs or Brown or Red or Exchequer Leghorns.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Silver or Golden Lakenvelders lay white eggs. They're pretty, too. And they are a somewhat endangered breed.

7. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    I love my brown leghorn. She's a great layer.

8. grendel

grendel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    I agree with other colored leghorns,or Ancona chickens are nice.they lay four to five eggs weekly.

9. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Barred Hollands.

They lay white eggs, and are classified as a dual purpose bird. Much meatier than any Mediterranean layer. They also have much better personalities than any of them, are quite social and friendly. My girl chases me around in the yard [​IMG]

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No Mediterranean breed (Leghorn, Ancona, Andalusian, etc) is actually a good "all purpose" breed, they're just egg layers. Dual Purpose white egg layers consist of Hollands, Houdans, and Crevecoeurs, however all three are rare, and even more rare to find truly dual purpose varieties. (Hatchery stock is the most common, and there is hardly such a thing as a hatchery based bird that is dual purpose)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by