What Is A Good Backyard Chicken?

What do you want the chickens for? Do you want them for meat, eggs, both, or just for pets?
No rooster is quiet, unless you get a bantam. But, a bantam won't be able to protect the flock. He can watch for dangers and alert the hens if he sees a predator, but he can't fight off a hawk, fox, raccoon, etc. If alerting is enough for you, then get some kind of bantam. If not, then you will have to get some other breed that will be loud.
Well, my bantam rooster is noisy AF. But he does a fantastic job warning the flock of danger. He can't fight to protect him (all 1.2 lbs of him would try), but they run when he sends up the alarm.

To OP: In my flock, my Brahma is almost silent. My Cochin is also very quiet. She doesn't sing an egg song. They are both super sweet. Both are huge, but very friendly and calm. My Silkies are the loudest hens I have. Good gravy!

But every chicken is an individual.

What do you want the chickens for? Do you want them for meat, eggs, both, or just for pets?
No rooster is quiet, unless you get a bantam. But, a bantam won't be able to protect the flock. He can watch for dangers and alert the hens if he sees a predator, but he can't fight off a hawk, fox, raccoon, etc. If alerting is enough for you, then get some kind of bantam. If not, then you will have to get some other breed that will be loud.
I’ve had several bantam roosters and they were all super loud... crowed constantly

Back
Top Bottom