What is a good computer to get?

kathyinmo

Nothing In Moderation
12 Years
May 14, 2009
(SW MO) Nevada, Missouri
My Coop
My Coop
Warning ..... you need to know..... I am dumb as heck about computers (as in WORSE than redhen), and I am in the market for a new one. Can you teach me a little?

What computer do you recommend? I don't know what a "gamer" computer is. Mostly, I use my computer to surf around. I take alot of pictures and store them on the computer (and I don't know how to put them on a stick, or whatever that is called). What do I want alot of.... memory? Ram? I want a fast computer.... or is that the server that makes it fast? (Cuz I know dial up is slow).

What is a Mac? Is that good or bad?
For example.... what does this stuff mean?
1TB hard drive. Intel Core i3 CPU and 8GB of RAM. (I copied that off here: http://alatest.com/reviews/desktop-reviews/hp-pavilion-p7-1080sc-qd440ea/po3-147310367,28/ )

Last edited:
I LOVE my laptop HP Pavilion....it pretty much does everything I ask it to do, including games and downloading pics! It does better than my other HP with tower.

I have a Desktop Dell. they always run a lot of specials on their website. I am as non-geekish as you can get. I dont do games (other than a little solitaire), dont do a lot of videos or music. Just surf the web a bit, store a lot of photos, and stuff like that. So it has served me very well. Just bought it several months ago. It is very fast, was easy to set up. I dont like laptops, just not comfortable using one. I like my desktop. Computers change so quickly and have updated so quickly that I think just about anything that you would buy new now would have more than enough speed and memory for you. All that stuff has gotten really cheap. Computers are practically disposable nowadays.

I have a Desktop Dell. they always run a lot of specials on their website. I am as non-geekish as you can get. I dont do games (other than a little solitaire), dont do a lot of videos or music. Just surf the web a bit, store a lot of photos, and stuff like that. So it has served me very well. Just bought it several months ago. It is very fast, was easy to set up. I dont like laptops, just not comfortable using one. I like my desktop. Computers change so quickly and have updated so quickly that I think just about anything that you would buy new now would have more than enough speed and memory for you. All that stuff has gotten really cheap. Computers are practically disposable nowadays.

thats what i have also.
has windows vista and got everything for $500 and does all i need it to do.i have broadband thru my phone contract.

I really love my Macbook...If you are not that into gaming then I would suggest a Mac, but if you occasionally like to play games then a PC would be good. My boyfriend got a Toshiba last Nov. that was waaay on sale, but it is quite heavy and big. It works for him because he likes to do entertainment-related stuff on his computer. The thing that I love most about Mac is that you can go into a physical store and ask an employee (most are very helpful..some not so much..) instead of calling a number. Hope that helps.

I'm on my first computer that i got 3 years ago used (it was about 3 years old then) at a cartridge store payed $120.00 so i think I've got my money worth

frow.gif

I have a new (well, 6 mo. old) Lenovo ThinkCentre computer, and I LOVE it. I had a Dell and it was riddled with issues, and after about 2 years, the motherboard died. Would never buy another Dell. My wife has a Macbook, and she loves it.

What does it mean when it says it is good for gamers? What games? On the internet or on discs or what? I don't understand what that means.

What is RAM? Is that what makes it faster? How much RAM should I have?
What is hard drive for? Bigger is better? ?????
What is a mother board?

Honest.... I am clueless on these dang computers....
One thing I do know.... I do NOT want another laptop. I hate those things. I need to replace my desk top model.

Last edited:

I second this! I love my Dell Desktop too!

Do you live anywhere near an Apple Store? They have the BEST customer service and will teach you how to use your new computer -- for free -- right in the store.
If you're not opposed to switching to a new operating system, I vote for getting a Mac.

I just bought a new MacBook Pro in November after retiring my old MacBook that was about 4-5 years old. I had an iBook before that. I've been an Apple customer for years, and have always been extremely satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom