what is a good design for a pen for pheasants.

bentenmanfann

Chirping
Jul 4, 2021
I have one male yellow golden pheasant pheasant and I'm getting two yellow golden pheasant femail in the very near future. I would like to upgrade their pen to a bigger one because I plan to hatch off some more next year but I'm lost on what I should build. I would like to stay under $1,000 but if required I can go to $1,200, and I would like to house around 10-15 adult yellow golden pheasants if possible. thanks for any help or recommendations.

Last edited:
I have one male yellow golden pheasant pheasant and I'm getting two yellow golden pheasant femail in the very near future. I would like to upgrade their pen to a bigger one because I plan to hatch off some more next year but I'm lost on what I should build. I would like to stay under $1,000 but if required I can go to $1,200, and I would like to house around 10-15 adult yellow golden pheasants if possible. thanks for any help or recommendations.
Could you provide a picture of your existing enclosure? It would be easier to envision what your wanting to do with the expansion/ upgrade project.

If you are wanting to house 10 - 15 adult birds, realize that they can either be all male or all female in the same enclosure, a community pen.
A breeding enclosure would be 1 cockbird to 5 or 6 hens, although, a mature cockbird could service 10 hens.
If you have more than 1 cockbird per enclosure, it will result in a blood bath, with one or both cockbirds ending up dead.

My enclosures are 6' x 30' x 7' with a 3 sided sheltered area about 12' in depth, 9' at front and 7' at the rear of the structure.
I have 5 seperate enclosures of this size 30' x 40' with 8 pens per enclosure and 5 enclosures that are 20' x 24' with 4 seperate pens per enclosure.

Summer:
pheasants 010.jpg

pheasants 005.jpg

pheasants 006.jpg

Winter:
20210215_065616.jpg

20210215_065323.jpg

20210215_065350.jpg

Could you provide a picture of your existing enclosure? It would be easier to envision what your wanting to do with the expansion/ upgrade project.

If you are wanting to house 10 - 15 adult birds, realize that they can either be all male or all female in the same enclosure, a community pen.
A breeding enclosure would be 1 cockbird to 5 or 6 hens, although, a mature cockbird could service 10 hens.
If you have more than 1 cockbird per enclosure, it will result in a blood bath, with one or both cockbirds ending up dead.

My enclosures are 6' x 30' x 7' with a 3 sided sheltered area about 12' in depth, 9' at front and 7' at the rear of the structure.
I have 5 seperate enclosures of this size 30' x 40' with 8 pens per enclosure and 5 enclosures that are 20' x 24' with 4 seperate pens per enclosure.

Summer:
View attachment 2798135
View attachment 2798146
View attachment 2798144

Winter:
View attachment 2798065
View attachment 2798084
View attachment 2798086
Ok thank you for the info and I would like to do breeding pens and I like how you did yours

Ok thank you for the info and I would like to do breeding pens and I like how you did yours
My pens cost $3,500 just in materials, for each of the 30' x 40' enclosures, would have been more but got the corrugated sheet metal, free, and labor was done by myself.

Last edited:
You also need to remember,when you get your hens you can not just throw them in with the male.if the male has been in there for a month or so that is his pen,and he will defend his pen even if its hens added.Youneed to put them all in a neutral pen for a few weeks and then if you wish you can put them all back into the males pen.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom