What is a good dual purpose breed?

Fancie

Songster
11 Years
Oct 31, 2008
Illinois
I'm going to be ordering some birds from ideal... I was wondering what would be the best pick for a dual purpose breed. I want a breed that I can get meat from as well as eggs. I want to be able to have chicks as well so that I can raise them for the same purpose.

What breed should I choose?

Also with going this route, some birds I will keep to lay and others will be slaughtered when the age is right... should I feed chick starter or meat producer feed? most of the birds I slaughter will be the roosters so I won't be able to know which are which when I get them.

Orpingtons and Rocks and I would feed in the regular manner. I would not choose to feed the same as for broilers aka meaties because of health issues that could arise from trying to bulk them up super fast.

I have Delaware's so I am biased
big_smile.png
I start them on Gamebird feed. Then when I know which is which, I move the girls to grower, and the guys stay on Gamebird, because the girls get to range. I will keep 1 of these roos and slaughter the rest for meat. I have heard Buff Orpington's are tasty as well as Leghorn...really depends on how much meat you want. The Leghorn's are best for eggs but produce small roos to slaughter. I'd maybe go Rhode Island Red's if that was all I was breeding for was eggs and meat. They are meaty and high egg producers. So, basically...all you'll get is personal preference as responses. I would decide what exactly you want out of a breed(how much meat vs. eggs, etc.), and then decide accordingly. You will get very varied responses from us
big_smile.png

My only experiences with DP birds have been BO's and BR's. I'm not sure I can tell a difference in the meat. We processed 2 BO's and a BR at 16-18 weeks and did another BR at 23 weeks. The 23-weeker was slightly tougher than the younger boys but was still pretty darn good. I got a straight run of chicks from a local gal and we processed the roos and kept the hens for eggs. We didn't feed them any differently and they all free-ranged together. Consequently they had very little fat. DP birds are never going to grow as fast as quickly as your meaties - at 16 weeks they were only about 3lb dressed, while the 23-weeker was almost 5lb dressed. If you compare that to people reporting getting 6-8lb birds in as many weeks, there's quite a difference. Still, I found it a good way to go because when I picked up the chicks, I felt I couldn't go wrong - they would provide us with food whether boys or girls, and even the boys had much better lives until the day they were processed, than a commercial meatie ever does so....

Plymouth rocks. I use them for both and they are great. I feed chick feed and free range. When they are done feathering out, I try my best to sex them based on who has larger combs, but I have had both females and males on the table and have found that at about 16 weeks the females carcass was about 4 lbs and males about 5lbs. We feed grower twice a day, as much as they want for 15 minutes, enough time to get full. They have constant access to fresh air and grass. We seed the grass with a mixture of clover and other small hay mixes. The chickens do great, and if you find that you have a few too many roosters in the laying coop by accident, and they have been eating layer pellets, just eat them around 20 weeks and they will be around 5 to 5 1/2 lbs.

I like Plymouth rocks... I think I might try hatching some eggs first... Thanks.

Last edited:
Quote:
Too bad there's a border between us (canada/america) or I could give you some to try.
I just got into the chicken thing 2 years ago, and scince have been trying to find the perfect dual purpose chicken for a family of 2 adults and 2 youngsters. I have bought and tried 7-8 different breeds and here is my list of favorites.
1-Plymouth Rocks (great meat, average 5 1/2lb carcass, docile, some will go broody (3 out of 10), egg a day, only a 2 week average molt)
2-Welsummer crossed Plymouth rocks (slightly bigger carcass, wings a little too chewy, egg a day.)
3-Sussex( good breast, not as great legs. Only birds I have ever had egg eating problems with. Roosters can be kinda agressive, egg a day.)

I am using mainly plymouth rock now, and all my friends and family are happy with this choice too. I never feel embarassed with giving one away.

Back
Top Bottom