What is a good feed storage container to keep out roaches??

We definitely agree with controlling the roach problem. Maybe taking away their food source may help, it did for us.
We also have put out an Ultra-Voilet Bug Zapper and spread DE in problem areas.
We've also pulled out any kind of items that were up against the house that could have caused harboring areas for bugs and or rodents. Good luck

I Recently stumbled upon someone who puts a little diamataceous earth In her feed. It deworms the flock. It also kills roaches. Just a thought.
Please don't use DE with your birds. The stuff is like little gladiator balls and will irritate the chickens lungs and cause respiratory issues. Years ago DE was all the range but it's not good around chickens who have their face in the dirt kicking up more dirt. Lable has warning to use mask. Hope this helps.

Right now I have a 30 gallon plastic trash can that I store my chicken feed in. However, the lid is not tight enough to keep out the roaches from getting inside. Whenever you remove the lid to scoop out feed, roaches scurry all over the place. My Wife will no longer feed the chickens because of all the roaches that jump on her hands and arms.
I have thought of buying a really large ice chest, (about 110 quart size) but that would be pretty expensive.
Anyone got any advice on some type of air tight storage container / containers that can hold 3-4 fifty pound bags of feed at a time.
I use the metal trash cans. The lid fits on tightly and it is mouse, roach and spider proof- recently learned it is also racoon proof. Since I only have a few chickens, I use the small metal cans ( I also use it for dog food storage). I put the pine shavings and cleaning stuff in a large metal can kept outside near the coop.

I use the metal garbage cans right in my large coop. The feed bags go into the cans on top of a couple of empty feed bags, and the cans sit on rubber stall mats, on top or bricks for more moisture control. Bugs and mice can't get inside, and because they are inside, no moisture problems. I also would have all those bugs gone!
Old freezers work well too, as long as children don't find a way inside. Disable latches!
Mary

I use 30 gallon metal cans, they hold 3 50 pound bags of pellet feed. I have one for my adults, 1 for chick feed and a 10 gallon for their treat mix, usually a 50 pound bag of black oil sunflower seeds or scratch. Just make sure the lids fit tightly, I had a few that didn't so I tried next lid in stack til one was tight. Mine are kept inside the storage/nursery room of my coop. It has a wooden floor but I do get the occasional mouse and don't have any bug problems other than some flies and spiders.

I like the idea of also using an old chest freezer or refrigerator laid down but I personally don't have the space in the 6x10 storage/nursery room.

It's better to store the feed in it's original bag from the store. Then the garbage cans only hold 100 lbs, not 150 lbs, true, but if there's ever a problem with a particular feed, it's right there with lot numbers for evaluation. Happened here once, long ago, and I had no idea how old the loose feed was, where bought, or lot numbers on the discarded bag.
Also, there's no temptation to just add feed on top of remnants of old stuff at the bottom of the can!
Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom