what is a good "flighty"chicken breed-thanks guys-got it.

Ditto on the white and brown leghorns but even more "wanderlust" driven are golden campines. The two I had figured out how to get out of their yard regardless of the top netting. They are a somewhat friendly bird, SMAHT, quick, great egg layers and beautiful to look at. The last one I had was Monique. That girl was something else. She would always greet me by my car when I came home from work just like a dog lol. She is the only chicken I've ever lost to a predator and I suspect it was an owl that attacked her at dusk before she got back into the yard. I found her comb half off and even tho I tried to save her I think the shock was too much and she died that night. Sad story yes but I had accepted that was how her life would probably end. She was a joy to look at and I believe she had a great and happy life so I vote for golden campines as a perfect free ranging bird.

My Dorking hens are outside free ranging all day and very alert to any sounds in the neighbourhood or birds flying over. When I got them, they had been raised outdoors and they occassionally go to roost in trees, rather than their coop.
smile.png
smile.png

I have Egyptian Fayoumi, Golden Penciled Hamburgs, Sicilian Buttercups and Silver Leghorns. They are all quite flighty and self sufficient. The Buttercups are very personable but still flighty.
These breeds would all do well free-ranging. I'm amazed at how huge their wings are, compared to other breeds like the Easter Eggers. They can really fly!

Last edited:
My OEGBs have always been good free range chickens, although they are a very docile breed. I love having a few in my flock, especially a rooster to guard the flock. They are alert little birds and very smart. They seem to really pay attention to danger and take care of their girls. I've had the OEGBs for about 5 years now, chickens for about 20-25. I will probabaly always have some OEGBs in my flock, especially a free-ranging flock, from now on.
I really like the Sicilian Buttercups, too. Not as wild as the Hamburgs and Egyptian Fayoumis but still with good foraging/flighty instincts. Same with the Silver Leghorns, although they aren't as curious or personable. My Buttercup and Banty hens are always underfoot, hoping I'll find them some bugs in the garden.

Norwegian Jaerhons (Jaers) are my best free rangers, and I have not lost any to predators, including coons, hawks, owls, and dogs--whereas I have suffered heavy losses with some other breeds, also some recommended here. But, then again, I am probably partial to that breed LOL

Old post, but have to agree with the answer of brown leghorns. I've had the white, they are skittish, but just acquired a brown. Now, maybe it's just her, but I have never had a bird move like she can! I can't get near her! She leaves the other birds alone, forages on her own, just wants to be alone. If one of my other girls even turns towards her, she's across the yard in a heart beat! Chicken! But she runs like a road runner!

Back
Top Bottom